Thread: Dual HD

Beans

Dual HD

Any thoughts to providing a laptop with dual drives - one solid state and the other standard (rotating) with an external CD/DVD drive?

A small SSD would allow for fast boot times for the O/S and the standard HD for data.

Just a thought?

-Tim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Dual HD

Sounds like a good thought.

Unfortunately Hardware trends and capabilities tend to be limited to what windows can handle, or what a typical user will want.

just for the sake of example

In the case of the "netbook", If I remember correctly the original spec of the first EEE pc was, celeron 500mhz cpu, 512 ram, 2gb ssd. Would have worked perfectly if vendors felt comfortable with selling Linux systems. Instead Microsoft buckled down and allowed xp to continued to be bundled exclusively with this small "class" of computer. I bet you cant guess the so call "class" spec cap to qualify for xp or 7 starter? lol. As a result a netbook will probably mean the cookie cutter Atom, 1-2gb ram, 160gb HDD for the foreseeable future. Even though a Via Nano, 128mb ram, 2 SD slots would make for a great sub $200 puppy linux computer. Remember the original definition of netbook was how cheap can "just web" usage get.

ULV's will be more interesting to follow because at least they will be allowed to follow Moore's so called law
    Laptops: S76 Panp5, HP tc4400
    Other: numerous old desktops/laptops running ubuntu or puppy linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

You know, I'm not sure about that particular configuration, but we get a lot of requests for dual hard drives. I'll put another tally on the list for you. I've already mentioned to R&D on a few occasions that we get requests for that, but I'm really not sure when/if dual HDs will be available.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

Thanks.

In general unless I'm ripping a CD, I rarely ever use the CD drive -- so a 2nd drive sounds like a good option.

If that isn't "easily" doable -- what about a 2nd battery?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

what about a 2nd battery?
    That's another one that's been brought up a few times in the past.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm not sure how easy/hard it is to make one of those multi-use slots, but my first laptop was a Dell Inspiron around 2000 that had two slots on the front that could contain lots of different things from a battery, floppy, hard drive, CD-ROM, you name it. I don't know if any of the new laptops have this, but I found it invaluable at times.

Just a thought --

Sam
    Linux User since 1996, #242069
    System 76 PanP5 - 64bit Xubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I too have a couple of older laptops that can do the cd-battery-hard drive ring around the rosy. I think it would be great if some sort of consortium or something would standardize some sort of 2.5inch bay (even there was a wide variant for CD drives). I think the stopping point in the past was the value of user switchable parts that are proprietary. Like the HP media dock... great idea... that is if it worked in other vendors systems beside HP...

Now if the consortium in question would only make this standardized bay's interface bus robust enough to handle a discrete gpu....lol, techno dreaming (for me and the gpu manufacturers really..)

I think the bottom line is that any after life product value undercuts future interest in the bottom line
    Laptops: S76 Panp5, HP tc4400
    Other: numerous old desktops/laptops running ubuntu or puppy linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Re: Dual HD

What about a dual ssd/standard drive setup on a desktop? I'd contemplating getting a new desktop, but I'd like to boot the OS from the ssd and keep my data storage on the other drive. Is that a possibility?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

That is possible, bough we can't configure it at the factory. I'd recommend adding the second standard hard drive.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!