Thread: cron ssh reverse tunnel

Beans

cron ssh reverse tunnel

Hi,

I am trying to access my work PC (Ubuntu 9.04) from home. I do not have control over the router/firewall at work. I am able to establish a reverse ssh tunnel from my work pc to my home PC while i am at work and then use this connection to vnc from home. however i am not able to run the ssh command thru cron so that the ssh tunnel can be created automatically. I have searched the net and tried the solutions provided but they dont seem to work. the ssh command executes thru terminal but does not work thru cron. after some debugging i am getting the error "Host key verification failed"

can somebody please help me

Thanks in advance

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: cron ssh reverse tunnel

Quote Originally Posted by amanik View Post
    Hi,

I am trying to access my work PC (Ubuntu 9.04) from home. I do not have control over the router/firewall at work. I am able to establish a reverse ssh tunnel from my work pc to my home PC while i am at work and then use this connection to vnc from home. however i am not able to run the ssh command thru cron so that the ssh tunnel can be created automatically. I have searched the net and tried the solutions provided but they dont seem to work. the ssh command executes thru terminal but does not work thru cron. after some debugging i am getting the error "Host key verification failed"

can somebody please help me

Thanks in advance
    If you truly need to access your work computer, your immediate supervisor would be the one to ask. If you're accessing company resources from outside the company without company permission, you're just asking to be fired.

Beans

config SSH with [StrictHostKeyChecking=no] option. usually it's in /etc/ssh
    however this maay make your PC vulnerble.

Beans

Hi,

Thanks tried that the error has stopped coming however ssh tunnel is not forming below is my crontab entry

*/1 * * * * /usr/bin/ssh -i /home/USERNAME/.ssh/id_rsa USERNAME@URL >> /home/USERNAME/ssh.log 2>&1
    appreciate your help

thanks