Thread: No WPA option in 8.04.1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question No WPA option in 8.04.1

Hello again!!! I have been enjoying Ubuntu so much my Fiance decided she wanted XP gone and Ubuntu installed on her old Dell Latitude D400. So I installed 8.04.1 from the dell website using their ISO with the necessary drivers. I updated the system right after install and now the release says its 8.04.4 LTS. As of yet I have one minor bump I cant seem to find a WPA option in the wireless controls. The card is working fine and I can see all of the available wireless networks but cannot log in because it only gives me the WEP option. I am pretty sure that WPA can be done so...What do I do? If you need more information I will get it for you I just thought this would be a quick question that may be a common problem with this release.

Thanks....
    New and excited about Ubuntu!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: No WPA option in 8.04.1

My card is a linksys wpc54g ver2. I tried the ndiswrapper walk-through not only I could I not get it to work but it killed what drivers I had and I couldn't even get a wep signal by the time I was done. I just reformatted her comp again because I do not know how to see what I have done or to go back and change what I did (this is the problem as I enter things into the terminal).

I will try this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202834 next.

Anyone have any ideas?

I realize I could change my wireless security to WEP but what fun would that be?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

With this comp I still have no solution to get a wireless WPA signal

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Got it!!! If you are reading this follow this link http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=324148 It works for Hardy Heron 8.04.4 with the stated card it works 100%!!!! Thank you dmizer