Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP Envy 15 - too new for Ubuntu

Beans

HP Envy 15 - too new for Ubuntu

I just got an HP Envy 15 notebook, and I went through the process of installing Ubuntu on it. In short, the conclusion is that this laptop is just too new for Ubuntu / Linux in general.

Ubuntu 10.04 alpha runs with limited results on the machine, details below.

specs

the laptop is configured as follows:

CPU: i7 1.6GHz
    RAM: 8GB
    video card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5830
    display: 1900x1080
    SSD: 2x160GB in hardware raid
    external USB DVD-RW

details:

Code:
    $ sudo dmidecode -s system-product-name
    HP ENVY 15 Notebook PC
    $ sudo dmidecode -s system-version
    $ lspci -vnnn | perl -lne 'print if /^\d+\:.+(\[\S+\:\S+\])/'
    00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Core Processor DMI
    [8086:d132] (rev 11)
    00:03.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Core Processor PCI Express
    Root Port 1 [8086:d138] (rev 11)
    00:05.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Core Processor PCI Express
    Root Port 3 [8086:d13a] (rev 11)
    00:08.0 System peripheral [0880]: Intel Corporation Core Processor
    System Management Registers [8086:d155] (rev 11)
    00:08.1 System peripheral [0880]: Intel Corporation Core Processor
    Semaphore and Scratchpad Registers [8086:d156] (rev 11)
    00:08.2 System peripheral [0880]: Intel Corporation Core Processor
    System Control and Status Registers [8086:d157] (rev 11)
    00:08.3 System peripheral [0880]: Intel Corporation Core Processor
    Miscellaneous Registers [8086:d158] (rev 11)
    00:10.0 System peripheral [0880]: Intel Corporation Core Processor QPI
    Link [8086:d150] (rev 11)
    00:10.1 System peripheral [0880]: Intel Corporation Core Processor QPI
    Routing and Protocol Registers [8086:d151] (rev 11)
    00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series
    Chipset High Definition Audio [8086:3b56] (rev 05)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series
    Chipset PCI Express Root Port 1 [8086:3b42] (rev 05)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series
    Chipset PCI Express Root Port 2 [8086:3b44] (rev 05)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series
    Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller [8086:3b34] (rev 05) (prog-if 20)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge
    [8086:2448] (rev a5) (prog-if 01)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation Mobile 5 Series Chipset LPC
    Interface Controller [8086:3b03] (rev 05)
    00:1f.2 RAID bus controller [0104]: Intel Corporation Mobile 82801 SATA
    RAID Controller [8086:282a] (rev 05)
    00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset
    SMBus Controller [8086:3b30] (rev 05)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc Device
    [1002:68a1]
    01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: ATI Technologies Inc Juniper HDMI Audio
    [Radeon HD 5700 Series] [1002:aa58]
    02:00.0 USB Controller [0c03]: NEC Corporation Device [1033:0194] (rev
    03) (prog-if 30)
    03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation WiFi Link 6000
    Series [8086:4239] (rev 35)
    04:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Attansic Technology Corp. Device
    [1969:1063] (rev c0)
    installation

installation is tricky, as the installation image is not recognized from the external USB DVD drive, while the machine would not boot from the internal SD Card reader.

thus, the trick is to create a bootable CD / DVD with the installation image, and copy the same stuff over to the SD Card reader. but the CD into the DVD drive and the SD card into the reader. when turning on the laptop, select the DVD as the boot device (tap ESC while starting, select F9 and go for the DVD). as you reach the installation menu, select 'Install Ubuntu', which will find the install medium in the SD Card reader, and it will install.

if you try your luck with 9.10, you'll see that at the end, you'll get an error message that grub could not be installed. and yes, the grub in 9.10 just cannot deal with the hardware raid controller in the system. I could only boot using the super grub disk on a USB stick.

thus I recommend to going for 10.04, albeit it is still alpha, which solves other issues as well.

status - what works and what doesn't

CPU - works, although I'm not sure about the power states. in idle, the machine is 50 C hot, and the went is always on. Alex Chiang claims that a kernel patch of his has been accepted into 2.6.33-rc2, but I also saw the 50 C idle temp on 2.6.33-rc8 (see Alex's site here: http://www.chizang.net/alex/blog/200...he-hp-envy-15/ )

RAM RAM works fine

SSD / HDD - there's an intel raid controller in the system, thus the 2x160GB SSDs are recognized as a single 320GB drive. but, the raw disks are still present and appear in all sorts of disk-aware applications as /dev/sda and /dev/sdb - which brings in some confusion. the SSD is very fast.

ethernet - the built-in ethernet adapter works fine

wifi - the built-in wifi does not work on 9.10, but works on 10.04 fine

video - well, not good. the binary ATI driver does not support the 5830 card as yet. the open source radeon driver causes screen corruptions every once in a while (see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ti/+bug/440544 ). going for more recent packages solves this issue. X either starts with the radeon or the radeonhd open source driver. with the radeon driver, gdm crashes at startup (see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rg/+bug/521436 ), thus X has to be started with startx

video/2d - 2d seems to be OK, flash videos like youtube also play fine. have not checked mplayer or other players yet

video/3d - 3D is extremely sluggish, seems to be software-emulation

keyboard - the keyboard works fine, including the special keys

touchpad - it's a 'clickpad' style thing, which is quite annoying. initially one can't even click properly, as click area is also an active touchpad, and your finger moves while pushing the button. Takashi Iwai submitted a kernel patch that makes things work a lot better (see http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-input/msg06333.html ), which will emulate the 3 mouse buttons on the bottom of the touchpad. nice. still, gestures like two-finger scrolling are missing

audio - the built-in audio works. the HDMI audio channel also appears as a separate audio device, but I haven't checked.

webcam - the built-in webcam works fine, as a video4linux device under /dev/video0

SD Card reader - the SD card reader works fine

bluetooth - haven't tested, though the bluetooth applet in the gnome bar crashes regularly

poweroff / suspend / hibernate - these don't work at all. actually, shutdown doesn't work either, the machine is just left hanging there, see here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/557072

things to do

- make radeaonhd the xorg driver that is loaded, instead of the radeon driver

- make the gdm screen not crash with the ioctl error calls, see here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...dm/+bug/522215 and here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rg/+bug/521436

- make the idle temperature of the system lower

- pray for 3D support, either from the ATI binary driver, or the open source radeonhd driver

- make susped / hibernate work, see here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/522263

if you have any inputs on the above, don't hesitate to drop a comment below...

relevant pachtes
    to make the XHCI driver not freeze the system when a new device is plugged in: http://markmail.org/message/vqcbzks4gnbrlir3

some other helpful XHCI patch: http://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/81830/

see Takashi Iwai's clickpad patch above

summary

in general, the hardware is very poorly supported by Linux at the moment. the CPU is overheating, the video is not handled properly, gets corrupted, and the gdm login screen doesn't even start. no suspend / resume, which is quite important for a laptop. the touchpad support has to be patched into the kernel manually.

these together with the fact that only an alpha-grade Ubuntu version, 10.04 is suitable to boot on the system at all, creates a very unstable laptop for the time being. hopefully 10.04 matures into production grade in a few months, and meanwhile some of the open issues get solved as well.

the obstacle that seems to be the most difficult one is the video: ATI just doesn't support this card yet, and there's no telling when they will. the open source radeonhd driver is brand new, and there's no telling when it will have 3D support in it.
    Last edited by akos.maroy; April 14th, 2010 at 06:32 AM. Reason: added some patch URLs

Beans

Re: HP Envy 15 - too new for Ubuntu

I have the the second generation envy 15 too. I had to roll my own kernel from linus git + airlied's drm-radeon-testing for kms and the clickpad patch and use the xorg-edgers PPA for the radeon driver.

Temperature wise the laptop cpu actually runs cooler than win7. But you will get no power management for gpu.

i7z http://code.google.com/p/i7z/ tells me that the C states and the turbo boost is working.

My current problems are:
    1) No video accel
    2) no suspend/resume

Beans

I'm sorry I haven't updated the main post for a while

I managed to get the ATI binary driver 10.2 working: first, install the 'official' fglrx packages coming from the ubuntu apt repo. then, download the 10.2 binary driver tarball from ATI, unpack, and install manually (building the deb package won't work). this will _not_ manage to install the fglrx module though - so you have to:

Code:
    cd /usr/src/fglrx-8.702/
    ./make.sh
    mkdir -p /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/char/drm
    cp fglrx.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/char/drm/fglrx.ko
    then you have to manually get an xorg.conf that uses the fglrx driver from somehwere, and put it in /etc/X11 .

then it works, is really fast..

Beans

I have the same problems as already mentioned with my 2nd gen Envy 15. I have no suspend/resume and the laptop will not shutdown.
    I've tried the OSS ATI driver with/without KMS, fglrx, and vesa along with kernels 2.6.31 - 2.6.34. All exhibit the same suspend/shutdown behavior.

Beans

I'm experimenting with unloading as many modules as possible, testing
    the suspend feature using various levels of /sys/power/pm_test

I managed to get the number of modules as low as these:

Code:
    Module                  Size  Used by
    binfmt_misc             7454  1
    bnep                   11287  2
    btusb                  12729  2
    then I was going through these steps;

Code:
    echo freezer > /sys/power/pm_test
    echo mem > /sys/power/state
    echo devices > /sys/power/pm_test
    echo platform > /sys/power/pm_test
    echo processors > /sys/power/pm_test
    echo core > /sys/power/pm_test
    and all these worked fine - meaning that I got back to the console
    screen. I also ran dmesg, and didn't see anything suspicious.

but, when I do:

Code:
    echo none > /sys/power/pm_test

the machine will still hang

Beans

sorry if you've tried this or w/e but when my laptop had trouble suspending by default in 10.04 i used s2ram manually and it worked fine (although i had to force it - s2ram -f)
    i dont have that particular laptop but linux was having trouble identifying hardware etc in my laptop also so perhaps the solutions may be similar?
    good luck getting it workin regardless

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by suprem1ty View Post
    sorry if you've tried this or w/e but when my laptop had trouble suspending by default in 10.04 i used s2ram manually and it worked fine (although i had to force it - s2ram -f)
    i dont have that particular laptop but linux was having trouble identifying hardware etc in my laptop also so perhaps the solutions may be similar?
    good luck getting it workin regardless
    yes, I tried s2ram as well, but it didn't work either. I also posted the issue on the related mailing list, but to no avail

Beans

I'm not really sure where to report the bug since there are no errors. On tip of that, the only difference between the 1st gen, which has working suspend/shutdown, is Arrandale and the ATI 5830.
    As far as I can tell other laptops with arrandale aren't having the same problems. So that leaves the video card which as I mentioned has the same behavior across 3 different drivers. In the end I haven't a clue which component is at fault.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by babyhuey View Post
    I'm not really sure where to report the bug since there are no errors. On tip of that, the only difference between the 1st gen, which has working suspend/shutdown, is Arrandale and the ATI 5830.
    As far as I can tell other laptops with arrandale aren't having the same problems. So that leaves the video card which as I mentioned has the same behavior across 3 different drivers. In the end I haven't a clue which component is at fault.
    yes, the most annoying thing is the lack of ability to dig down deeper. I posted the issue on the linux-pm mailing list, but there was no response

Beans

I did some additional debugging, after receiving tips from the linux-pm list. that is, I booted the kernel with the no_console_suspend and initcall_debug options and then:

Code:
    echo 8 > /proc/sys/kernel/printk
    rmmod xhci
    and then I got to the console, the last screen had messages like:

Code:
    ACPI: Preparing to enter sleep state S3
    Broke affinit for irq 25 (same for 26, 27 and 28)
    CPU 1 is now offline (same for CPUs 1...8)
    SMP alternatives: switching to UP mode
    Extended CMOS year: 2000
    and then the machine hangs - nothing happens anymore...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast