Thread: Boot error: mount in fstab cannot be mounted

Beans

Boot error: mount in fstab cannot be mounted

Hello all. I am a noob but very eager to learn. I'm excited to install Ubuntu and possibly be done with Windows. With that said, thanks in advance for any help.

I've been able to successfully install using the alternate CD. However, when I try to boot, I can get to the ubuntu logo splash screen for a few seconds before a message briefly pops up saying:

One or more of the mounts listed in /etc/fstab cannot be mounted:
    Swap: waiting for /dev/mapper/cryptswap1
    Press ESC to enter a recovery shell

While I am fairly computer savy, I'm new to ubuntu and this issue is beyond my knowledge. Can anyone help? Thanks! I'll be happy to provide any information you may need.
    Last edited by DavetheDog; February 13th, 2010 at 06:57 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Boot error: mount in fstab cannot be mounted

did a clean install of ubuntu server 9.10 (image downloaded today from ubuntu.com). i chose to enable encryption of /home. but alas, i am unable to get any further during the boot process than described above. i find it hard to understand how this can happen, i just did a fresh install and it doesn't boot. can it really be a hardware fault or why is it that it seems encryption of /home is not done properly?
    Last edited by lenu; February 20th, 2010 at 10:30 PM. Reason: clarification