Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change BASH shortcut keys

Beans

Change BASH shortcut keys

Hi:

I've currently mapped Ctrl-C/V to copy/paste in Gnome-Terminal because I come from a Windows background. This causes an obvious problem because Ctrl-C is also used to send the SIGINT signal to the currently running process in the terminal. Is there a way for me to use a different shortcut to send the SIGINT signal? If there currently is no way, which component would I have to modify for this functionality?

Cheers,
    LK

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Change BASH shortcut keys

Ctrl-C does the same thing on the Windows console as it does on the Linux console, it sends SIGINT (or whatever the equivalent signal is in Windows) to the running program. The difference is that you've probably never tried Ctrl-C in a Windows terminal. The default settings for gnome-terminal for copy and paste are shift-ctrl-C and shift-ctrl-V. Outside of a terminal, Ctrl-C and V will copy and paste just like they do on Windows.

Beans

I would really like an answer to LordKelvan's question too. I realize as I imagine LoardKelvan does that DOS uses ctrl-c for break too. I'm very seldom in a DOS console so it's not much of a problem there. In Ubuntu the Terminal seems to get some serious use and I'm having a really hard time training my fingers, they think ctrl-c is copy!
    I'd like to know if it would be difficult to swap the functionality of ctrl-c and ctrl-shift-c. I very seldom need a break function but quite often need to copy text.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

As far as I know it's not possible, at least, not without mucking around with bash's source code.

Then again, while I've picked up using the command line alot since switching to Ubuntu, I don't think it's really as necessary as some people think. There are very few things I can think of that can't be done through the GUI.

Beans
    Hidden!

Cold truth: You're not on Windows anymore. Evolve and adapt!
    Easy solution: Use Gnome-Terminal's default of ctrl-shift-{c,v}.

As with any program in Linux, you also have the ability to highlight text and paste it using mouse button 3, which is the middle mouse button if you have it, or both left and right buttons at the same time.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by falconindy View Post
    Cold truth: You're not on Windows anymore. Evolve and adapt!
    True enough, except for the fact that the problem here is that in this case Linux is behaving exactly like Windows...

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jwbrase View Post
    True enough, except for the fact that the problem here is that in this case Linux is behaving exactly like Windows...
    Quite right, but my implication (or suggestion) was to use the Gnome-Terminal standard rather than trying to duplicate Windows behavior.

Beans

Well, I work in both environments, so you can see why muscle-memory might be an issue. While it is true that on a Windows console Ctrl-C also terminates programs, you can't actually copy/paste text with Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V (I'm not saying this is an upside, just saying why people have never encountered the issue on Windows).

Thanks for the replies. I had a sinking suspicion that this would not be possible (without modifying bash source code).

Beans

According to a post at http://www.matt-helps.com/ubuntu-ctrl-c-no-longer-works-in-terminal You could actually use ctrl-c and ctrl-v for copy and paste in the terminal prior to Ubuntu 9.04. It seems that if you set ctrl-c to copy in the setup the terminal would copy text if there was text selected or issue the SIGINT signal if no text was selected.

I am a bit confused about the whole "This is not Windows" issue. Every app I use in Ubuntu, except the Terminal, allows me to use these key combinations for copy and paste!
    I'd just like uniformity within Ubuntu. I fully agree with jwbrase it seems to me that forcing ctrl-c = break in Terminal is exactly duplicating Windows behavior.

I have been able to duplicate a little windows behavior in the Terminal. I modified the ~/.bashrc file to where cd.. = cd .. I did this because my fingers still remember cd.. as back one dir. and I got tired of an error every time I used it. If I knew what SIGINT actually did it seems there is a good chance it could be redirected in the .bashrc file as well. Can anyone help with that?

Beans

like what was mentioned before, you have to keep in mind that ctrl-c was intended to end programs. if this is changed to copy, then what if you're running a script and want to end it? sure theres ctrl-x and ctrl-d but those have different functionalities, and if you want to do ctrl-c for copy, then you'd want ctrl-x for cut, so its not that simple.

ctrl-c and ctrl-x were designed to end programs before they were used as copy and cut. if you want to use a keyboard to cut and paste in terminal but don't want to memorize the commands, you could either go for a different terminal program, go for a different shell, or try using the menu key on the keyboard and select paste from there, which is a little faster than using the mouse

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast