Thread: Installing Wireless Driver

Beans

Installing Wireless Driver

I have just installed Ubuntu 9.10 netbook remix for my new laptop. I've tried at great length to install the correct drivers to get my wireless up and running. I'm currently trying to install the Broadcom driver for my 802.11g wireless card. I have downloaded the headers and tools for ubuntu and am proceeding with the instructions given on

http://www.broadcom.com/docs/linux_sta/README.txt

but when i get to these steps i come unstuck
    # mkdir hybrid_wl
    # cd hybrid_wl
    # tar xzf <path>/hybrid-portsrc.tarI can make the directory and open it but when it comes to the third step I get a message saying that there is no such file or directory.

Any help you could offer would be much appreciated as I am completely stuck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Installing Wireless Driver

Have you tried the easy way? Connect an ethernet cable, get an internet connection and do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source
    sudo modprobe wl
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

Yes I've tried this it says

FATAL module wl not found

Beans
    Distro

What, if anything, shows up in System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers?
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

It says that there are no proprietary drivers active in this system, it says there is a Broadcom STA proprietary wireless driver but it is inactive. When I try to activate it says sorry installation of this driver has failed. It says to look at a log which then shows:

2010-02-13 17:59:43,230 DEBUG: BroadcomWLHandler enabled(): kmod disabled, bcm43xx: blacklisted, b43: blacklisted, b43legacy: blacklisted
    2010-02-13 17:59:49,765 WARNING: modinfo for module wl failed: ERROR: modinfo: could not find module wl

2010-02-13 17:59:49,766 WARNING: /sys/module/wl/drivers does not exist, cannot rebind wl driver
    2010-02-13 17:59:49,858 DEBUG: BroadcomWLHandler enabled(): kmod disabled, bcm43xx: blacklisted, b43: blacklisted, b43legacy: blacklisted
    2010-02-13 17:59:55,829 DEBUG: BroadcomWLHandler enabled(): kmod disabled, bcm43xx: blacklisted, b43: blacklisted, b43legacy: blacklisted
    2010-02-13 17:59:55,880 DEBUG: BroadcomWLHandler enabled(): kmod disabled, bcm43xx: blacklisted, b43: blacklisted, b43legacy: blacklisted
    2010-02-13 17:59:55,954 DEBUG: BroadcomWLHandler enabled(): kmod disabled, bcm43xx: blacklisted, b43: blacklisted, b43legacy: blacklisted

Beans

Why don' t you try to istall the drivers using Ndiswrapper

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...er/Ndiswrapper

or b43-fwcutter
    1. Install b43-fwcutter. You can find it here http://packages.debian.org/sid/b43-fwcutter
    2. Get the drivers:
      http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources...a-3.130.20.0.o and http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources...0.53.0.tar.bz2.
    3. Execute the following commands to extract the firmware
    sudo b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware wl_apsta-3.130.20.0.o tar xfvj broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0.tar.bz2 sudo b43-fwcutter --unsupported -w /lib/firmware broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0/kmod/wl_apsta_mimo.o

Beans
    Distro

but when i get to these steps i come unstuck
    # mkdir hybrid_wl
    # cd hybrid_wl
    # tar xzf <path>/hybrid-portsrc.tarI can make the directory and open it but when it comes to the third step I get a message saying that there is no such file or directory.
    Please try this.

By default, downloads are placed on the desktop. I assume that's where the hybrid-portsrc file is. Since you have already created a directory hybrid_wl, let's move the hybrid-portsrc file there:
    Code:
    mv Desktop/hybrid-portsrc.tar hybrid_wl
    Now, let's change to the correct directory:
    Code:
    cd hybrid_wl
    And unpack the tar file:
    Code:
    tar xzf hybrid-portsrc.tar
    A folder will be created and we need to change to that directory:
    Code:
    cd hybrid-portsrc
    Now, we will make and install the module:
    Code:
    make
    Now follow the remaining instructions in the README.

Beans

I had exactly the same problem last weekend. Before connecting to ethernet (and I read that you can do it via USB/CD also if you can't -- somewhere else on the forums) and entering....

sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source

....you might have luck reinstalling first. I tried a bunch of solutions on my Dell Mini 10v with Netbook Remix, and then the solution didn't work for me, simply installing the Broadcom driver. Something was amiss. I reinstalled Remix again (the install only took a few minutes anyway). Ran sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source (or you could get it via Synaptic), and all was well on the fresh install. Restart after installing the driver, and you're good.

I installed Netbook Remix on two machines that night, with only the driver added. Restarted, and all was well.

Beans

Sorry, that was garbled. I mean:

1) Reinstall UNR again.
    2) Hook up to ethernet.
    3) Run sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source
    4) Restart system.
    5) Enjoy your wireless!