Thread: UNR brightness flickering, no webcam & not saving keyboard settings (MSI Wind U123)

Beans

UNR brightness flickering, no webcam & not saving keyboard settings (MSI Wind U123)

Hi all,

Just installed UNR 9.10 as a dual boot on a MSI Wind U123 with XP as the original OS.
    My experience of things not working/ giving problems with an out of the box install.

Directly after (auto) log on, screen brightness begins to change constantly. Immediatly when the ubuntu logo with spotlight appears this starts to happen. I tried to make a video capture of it with Istanbul, but it wouldnt record more than 1 sec. During this the notification of logging on to a wireless network keeps flickering on top and will not go away, together with the brightness indication.
    This stops, in my experience, only after right clicking the task bar. The network and brightness indicator still remain on top for a 10-20 sec. The menu that comes up when right clicking is blank and unresponsive during this period.
    I found out that there is a work around by updating the BIOS, but i believe this to be quite dangerous for an average user (not necessarily referring to myself here )

Second hassle i have, is the fact that each time my keyboard layout changes back from belgian to US, even though i removed the US lay out from the options...

Thirdly, Cheese doesnt see the built-in webcam.

And then on the side a remark: why isnt there in the standard layout a trash icon available? Perhaps i overlooked it, but if not, that might be a problem for new users.

UPDATE: i set my energy settings for the screen to turn black when closing the lid. When opening the lid, the screen comes up only half power and again, the brightness is flickering up and down...
    Last edited by sigixv; February 13th, 2010 at 03:43 PM.

Beans

Re: UNR brightness flickering, no webcam & not saving keyboard settings (MSI Wind U12

bump

Beans

Re: UNR brightness flickering, no webcam & not saving keyboard settings (MSI Wind U12

This was a BIOS-update issue. After update all worked