Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Notes to Myself as I Learn Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Notes to Myself as I Learn Linux

I would like to keep detailed, well-organized reference notes to myself as I learn tips and tricks and solve things in Linux. This way I'd have one place to look when I need to remind myself how I resolved something in the past, without always having to search through the Forums. It may also benefit others along the way but that would be a bonus.

I'm looking for recommendations as to the best-suited method for doing this.

1. I could make a custom web site. (require extra work when there are easier, more efficient solutions)
    2. I could install Wordpress on my existing host and use that, or any other blog system. (I've no experience with it, but I'm sure it would work, although it may be overkill for what I want to do.)
    3. Something like Tomboy Notes? (I have yet to figure out a practical use for this application, but am very curious how to get the most of this tool.)
    4. I'm sure I'm missing other options... I'm eager to hear other suggestions.

Local solution would be nice for times when I am away from Internet, but a web-friendly format would be nice for having access anywhere. Also, I want to be able to get to the info easily if my system is down or messed up, so I don't want the info locked away in some really special format that can't be easily read with a minimal system.
    I'd rather die fighting lions than being trampled by geese.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Notes to Myself as I Learn Linux

Hello,

I 'll give you my experience on the issue. For me there are two nice solutions:

i) either create your own site as you say (there are many users that have done this, with very nice, detailed and useful information about Ubuntu and Linux in general) as well as

ii) just taking part in the forums. Using keywords afterwards you will be able to find things you posted on things that they were interesting for you, either by giving to people advice or by asking advice from the community.

The choice is yours!

Happy ubuntu-adventuring,
    Regards!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi
    A simple blog from blogger.com is a good solution.
    But it's no use if you can't get online.
    blogger.com is owned by google. So if you have googlemail you use the same login details (when editing).
    Here:-https://www.blogger.com/start
    Last edited by ron999; February 13th, 2010 at 12:51 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I use a notebook! Not the computer kind, the kind where you used an pen (with ink in it) and write with your hand!

It's not the best way to have super organized notes, but you'll always have it if your computer isn't working properly.

Now I'll probably be made fun of for this...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by crlang13 View Post
    I use a notebook! Not the computer kind, the kind where you used an pen (with ink in it) and write with your hand!

It's not the best way to have super organized notes, but you'll always have it if your computer isn't working properly.

Now I'll probably be made fun of for this...
    On the contrary, you just you made me smile! This is the best method you could use. Old fashioned, yet simple and it just works!

Regards!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Tomboy Notes is pretty nice. I use to store ideas that I brainstorm.

Basically, Tomboy allows you to create a Notebook, and inside the notebook you can create as many notes as you want. You can individually have the note named as a title and have more information inside the note. The benefits of this too me is that I am usually at my computer and I can synchonize my notes up into Ubuntu One and onto my external media.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Definitely pad and pen. But for computer notes, I like zim.

sudo apt-get install zim
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Hidden!

I just write down some important things in vim, and use
    Code:
    sudo bash
    and
    Code:
    history
    in terminal.
    Last edited by mhgsys; February 13th, 2010 at 01:39 AM.
    When your thread it solved: go to thread tools > Mark this thread as solved
    for SIS 771/671 use xcompmgr to have transparent terminals. just load it at startup.

And then they asked: what's a pbkac error?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have a WordPress blog on my own server where I put a lot of instructional information (and then use those instructions myself over and over).

I also try to organize my thread Subscriptions as best I can (I have a folder for scripts, hacks, that sort of thing).

Finally I make very good use of Tomboy Notes. I sometimes make a Note just to hold information long enough to get some other application ready for that stored information. Other Notes are blog drafts.

You get the picture.
    "We're all in this together, kid." --H. Tuttle (a.k.a. H. Buttle)
    "Maybe it's a layer 8 problem." --thatguruguy
    A High-Tech Blech!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This thread reminds me of another question... is there a way to "export" a thread to save locally on my computer in it's original format (or any other format)?
    I'd rather die fighting lions than being trampled by geese.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast