Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A memtest problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: A memtest problem?

Well, I've now done the removing the video card and brushing off the dust thing, and there's been no affect at all.

Something I noticed when I opened the case is that there are 2 RAM modules, which means I have to remove one of them to run memtest properly, and then swap them over and run it again.

My big problem is that whichever drongo designed the HP Pavillion doesn't seem to have thought that a user might ever want access to the memory cards, as they are completely inaccessible to anyone without treble-jointed wrists. I think the only way I can get to them is to remove the hard disk.
    Laptop1: Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Pi 2515, 2Gb RAM, 160Gb HDD (2 x NTFS parts), Window$ Vista Home Premium
    USB HDD (usually connected to Laptop1): 80Gb total, 2Gb Linux-swap, 20Gb Linux-root (Ubuntu 10.10), 3.6Gb Linux-home, 50Gb NTFS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Allott View Post
    Something I noticed when I opened the case is that there are 2 RAM modules, which means I have to remove one of them to run memtest properly, and then swap them over and run it again.
    I don't think that is quite true as such. I am sure the memtest looks at all the RAM that is there. If you are showing no errors, as you said you were, I think you can take it at face value. Only if you were seeing errors would you have to test the modules one at a time to isolate where the problem is.

I know what you mean about treble jointed wrists though...
    Michael

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by audiomick View Post
    Bear in mind that flashing the BIOS nearly always voids any warranty that you might still have.
    As far as I've come to understand in my 18 years of computer nerdiness flasing BIOS doesn't void warranty.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123