Thread: Ubuntu vs. Edubuntu?

Beans

Question Ubuntu vs. Edubuntu?

I have a new family desktop pc on the way and I would like to repurpose our current desktop as a pc dedicated to my young offspring.

I think Ubuntu and possibly Edubuntu is the way to go, considering all of the free educational software available. I am totally new to Ubuntu and pretty much a Linux n00b altogether. I installed RedHat once for a sys admin class years ago, and that's all I've ever done with it.

I'm not sure if I should install Ubuntu and install Edubuntu's apps on it, or go all the way and install the Edubuntu platform over Ubuntu? I've had a hard time googling the web for reasons why a parent might want to install full Edubuntu instead of just installing the Edubuntu apps on an Ubuntu machine.

My 4 year old son will be the primary user, for now, and he's very technically apt. I don't have any worries about him navigating the menus or shortcuts (or whatever Ubuntu's equivalent to shortcuts are) between the environments. I am mostly interested in knowing if there are security advantages to edubuntu, or if the OS is dumbed down a bit, such as limiting access to system controls and such?

Any thoughts/suggestions/guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu vs. Edubuntu?

If it were me, I would install Ubuntu, and then select educational apps approriate for your son. Or maybe even Linux Mint, which is just a little simpler to get going. (It's a variant of Ubuntu, but you don't have to worry about the "restricted extras." Mint has access to all the Ubuntu programs.)

Make sure you download a LiveCD and try it, to make sure your hardware all works. You don't have to install Ubuntu to try it.

And yes, they are still called Shortcuts.

Beans

So you suggest installing the Edubuntu apps on top of Ubuntu. Makes sense, considering that the educational apps are all I'm after.

Since I'm new to Ubuntu myself, maybe I'll get some education too then and see what it can do for me as well.

I'm still only sorting out my install options for now - a LiveCD is kind of like running Ubuntu from a disc rather than an Ubuntu installation residing on the HDD, right? That's a good idea, to use it as a trial run before fully installing it.

I haven't read anything on Linux Mint yet - that's on today's to-do list.

Thanks for your input.

Beans

I wouldn't worry too much about choosing between them. They are essentially the same system, but with a different set of software installed by default. Installing or removing multiple software programs is really easy (if it is in the Ubuntu repository) - just select or deselect them in Synaptic, the Add/Remove programs application or use the command line.