Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to boot windows in virtualbox?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

How to boot windows in virtualbox?

I have VirtualBox installed as well as Wine, and I want to run Windows from the VirtualBox (Ubuntu 9.04 is my OS). VirtualBox won't start because "no bootable medium found." Another words I don't have an OS on VirtualBox. How do I get Windows install on VirtualBox, or how do I get Windows to boot through Wine in VirutalBox?

Beans

Re: How to boot windows in virtualbox?

WINE is for running Windows programs within linux. Virtualbox is for running a fake computer (virtual machine).

If you want to run Windows in Virtualbox, then you'll want to create a virtual hard disk (this is done with the wizard when you make a new virtual machine) and then install Windows on it. You'll need Windows installation media (e.g. CD or CD image), which you'll need to point Virtualbox at before you start the VM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I believe I have done both. I created the virtual hard disk when I installed VirtualBox, and I have downloaded a CD ISO which appears on the VirtualBox. Also, I have set the virtual CD as the first boot device. I'm still getting that message that there is "no bootable medium found." I'm doing something wrong or I'm missing something. What do you suggest?

Beans

Check your steps again. Make sure that you really have told virtualbox to mount the ISO.

If that's all set up correctly, and you still have no luck, it could be the ISO itself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm trying to install WindowsXP from a cd into VirtualBox and I reached a screen to select the partition to install XP. I stopped because I'm no sure which to select and afraid the setup will format a partition endangering my "/" partition or some other. I need advice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm trying to install WindowsXP from a cd into VirtualBox and I reached a screen to select the partition to install XP. I stopped because I'm no sure which to select and afraid the setup will format a partition endangering my "/" partition or some other. I need advice.
    dont worry about anything in virtual box. in virtualbox as the name says its virtual it would not harm your computer.
    and did you ever installed widows on any of your computer then its the same way to install in virtualbox and if not then " http://www.buildeasypc.com/sw/windows_xp.htm " follow the link to see how to install it. and if you want the vedio then "http://www.metacafe.com/watch/795442/how_to_install_windows_xp/"

good luck..
    "Well son, the first thing you can do is - stop complaining." - Dad with love.
    Question Everything !!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm back. . .
    I stopped the XP installation, then after reading your post I started up again but kept getting the message "error booting the os" or something like that. It appears that the VirtualBox is not seeing the CD. I have placed the CD in the first boot position but I still get the error message. I've installed XP before but it has been a long time. I'll look at the links you posted. However, if you have an idea where I'm going wrong let me know. Thanks.

Edit: Retry Report: Well, I'm about ready to give up. I got back into the XP installation by "resetting" in the device menu. So, thinking I was on the way, everything proceeded until nearly the end of the installation when an error message popped up saying: "Invalid parameter was pass to a service or function." I tried re-installing a couple of times and reached the same point of the error.
    Last edited by lakelovers; February 15th, 2010 at 01:41 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lakelovers View Post
    I'm back. . .
    I stopped the XP installation, then after reading your post I started up again but kept getting the message "error booting the os" or something like that. It appears that the VirtualBox is not seeing the CD. I have placed the CD in the first boot position but I still get the error message. I've installed XP before but it has been a long time. I'll look at the links you posted. However, if you have an idea where I'm going wrong let me know. Thanks.
    Have you mounted the CD drive or ISO image in Virtualbox, as setting the CD drive to boot first is meaningless unless you have a CD or ISO image mounted to the drive...this can be done by click on Devices, and then selecting either the CD Drive the XP CD is in, or selecting the ISO image. You may have to click on More CD/DVD Images and browse to find the ISO.

HTH

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It really is quit simple.

Open VB. Stick your XP disc in to the drive. Then select New in the top left corner of VB then follow the Wizard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I may have a faulty CD. I still get the error message that "lsass.exe cannot be found" then the installations stops. I'm using a reinstallation CD that came with my computer, and in the dark corners of my fuzzy brain I seem to recall that when I used this CD before, I had to enter a purchase key/number. I have a number but I can't be sure that it's the required #, and I haven't seen any place to insert a number during my attmepts at installing XP. I originally down loaded a Windows ISO which I couldn't get to load in VB. I'd try it again but I can't remember how I initiated the ISO within VB and now I don't see that option.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast