Thread: Installing GnoMenu...

Beans

Installing GnoMenu...

Hello, I have recently undergone some renovations of everything in Ubuntu. I've added beryl themes to Emerald Theme Manager, added folder styles and control styles to Appearance and now I have discovered that I can change the GnoMenu (as I learned its called). So I've downloaded the zips I liked from www.gnome-look.org and then I extract but I cannot figure out how to apply it or choose different themes for GnoMenu.

This is what I have done so far.
    Installation on Ubuntu:

Save the GnoMenu file to your desktop (Gnomenu)

https://launchpad.net/gnomenu/trunk/2.2

Once it's downloaded, right-click the file and choose 'Extract Here'.

Next you need to make sure the correct dependencies are all installed, so open a terminal (Applications >> Accessories >> Terminal) and type in :

sudo apt-get install python python-xdg python-cairo python-gconf python-xlib deskbar-applet

Next, in the terminal you need to change in to the directory you extracted earlier. Type in:

cd ~/Desktop/gnomenu

now type:

sudo make install

REF: http://gnome-look.org/content/show.p...content=108571

The problem is that I don't understand, "This will install GnoMenu, it comes with some themes installed by default. Once this is done, you'll be able to right-click on your panel and select 'Add to panel'. Select GnoMenu from the list, it'll add an icon to the panel, right-click the icon and choose 'Preferences'. From there you'll be able to install the menu themes you've downloaded and download others from the Internet."

Where on 'Add to Panel' should I see this program GnoMenu? Because I don't have one.

any ideas?
    Ubuntu 9.04.1 | GeForce Go 7300/PC/SSE2 | 2062MB | 2x Intel Core 2 CPU T5600 @ 1.83GHz | Dell BIOS A17 | Dell INSPIRON E1505

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Installing GnoMenu...

What version of Ubuntu are you using? Beryl was remerged back into Compiz a few years ago so it is possibly old if you have a newer version of Ubuntu.
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Beans

Ubuntu 9.04.1 | GeForce Go 7300/PC/SSE2 | 2062MB | 2x Intel Core 2 CPU T5600 @ 1.83GHz | Dell BIOS A17 | Dell INSPIRON E1505

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by benjamin.s.vaccaro View Post
    And you installed Beryl themes? Are they available in the repos?
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Beans

Beryl themes are used by the Emerald Theme Manager, my issue is with the GnoMenu, I don't know if they are made in beryl or what. Beryl is just the category name on www.gnome-look.com for Emerald Themes. There is a separate category called GnoMenu....thats where my issue is.

Beans
    Distro

What I am trying to point out is you may be inadvertently using incompatible software. If you mix and match software that is old in a new system you may be causing problems without even knowing it.

I might also ask have you asked about this on gnome-look?

Beans

I haven't, if that is the case, do you know of any ways to modify the "gnomenu" if thats what its called? It has to be possible to change the interface right?

Beans
    Distro

I'd be asking and searching in the Desktop Environment section of this forum.

Beans

I'll try that, thanks for the suggestions.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Reboot your computer and then add to panel