Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: ubuntu minimal install vs arch

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: ubuntu minimal install vs arch

Previous mini install cds just setup a CLI system that I then apt-get"ed" only the software I wanted. The Lucid mini cd setup a cli system and then downloaded 670 odd mb of Ubuntu Desktop and installed it.
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Beans

i tried the ubuntu mini.iso recently and found myself pretty lost (where's the documentation? i couldn't find it).
    aren't there underlying differences in structure that could still account for a difference in speed ( not too mention a variety of more important considerations)?
    thank you, dan henderson.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by k3lt01 View Post
    Previous mini install cds just setup a CLI system that I then apt-get"ed" only the software I wanted. The Lucid mini cd setup a cli system and then downloaded 670 odd mb of Ubuntu Desktop and installed it.
    Thanks for the info. There was a similar bug with Karmic's mini CD. The installer pulled in openoffice.org.

@chucky:

Basic info here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD

This tutorial provides one way to set things up:
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal

Beans

thanks, red. i'll probably give that a whirl the next time i get stuck in arch (every once in a while, i hit something i can't solve and come screaming back to baboontu).
    thank you, dan henderson.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chucky chuckaluck View Post
    thanks, red. i'll probably give that a whirl the next time i get stuck in arch (every once in a while, i hit something i can't solve and come screaming back to baboontu).
    baboontu?! Just what we need -- yet another Ubuntu derivative.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by RedSquirrel View Post
    Thanks for the info. There was a similar bug with Karmic's mini CD. The installer pulled in openoffice.org.
    I had no problem with Karmic's mini.iso for me it worked as it should have. I might do a little searching about that now to see what I can find out. Thanks for the tip.
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by k3lt01 View Post
    I had no problem with Karmic's mini.iso for me it worked as it should have. I might do a little searching about that now to see what I can find out. Thanks for the tip.
    Here's the bug report for the Karmic issue:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/443167

(I haven't tried Karmic's mini installer since October. Back then, it was pulling in openoffice.org.)

I had a quick look on launchpad last night for a report regarding the issue you mentioned but I didn't see anything. My search was somewhat superficial, however. I might try the Lucid mini install today to see if the issue still exists.

Beans
    Distro

Interesting, the bug seems to be a bit bigger now. I just wonder if they tested the mini.iso before they released it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bobin View Post
    You think I'll be able to handle Arch ? I am a somewhat lay user with absolutely no knowledge of config files and limited experiance with the terminal.
    You're going to need a great deal of bash experience for Arch.

Although, I suppose if you're good at following instructions; take a look at the Arch Wiki and follow the instructions. Do NOT skip steps, follow exactly.

Theres probably nothing lighter than my Arch;
    http://omploader.org/vM2pyag

125 megabytes of RAM with Xorg/Pidgin/Firefox/Thunar running
    Last edited by Dj Melik; February 14th, 2010 at 08:13 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Dj Melik View Post
    You're going to need a great deal of bash experience for Arch. <SNIP>
    I hope you don't feel I'm taking your words out of context, but I don't have "a great deal of bash experience" and I managed to get Arch up and running by following the AMAZING beginners' guide. True, it took a while but I learnt a lot from it and now I have a light and fast Arch/Openbox system with everything I need and nothing I don't.

I'm not being an Arch fanboy, I'm just trying to demystify it a little.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast