Thread: How To: Install OpenOffice 3.2

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How To: Install OpenOffice 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by cement_head View Post
    Hello All,

The PPA has been updated with the 3.2.0 debs for Karmic.

- CH

Thanks for the info, time to upgrade.

Worked like a charm........thanks again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot-About OpenOffice.org.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	151151  
    Last edited by Linuxforall; March 23rd, 2010 at 04:38 PM.
    The finding of unity in variety is really what we call knowledge..... Vivekananda.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by cement_head View Post
    Hello All,

The PPA has been updated with the 3.2.0 debs for Karmic.

- CH
    Thank you so much for the news! Who do I have to thank when I try this and curse if it doesn't work!? I've had the PPA thing set up for a while now, just waiting on this. I'm going to go ahead and attempt a normal update, and we'll see what happens!

Thanks again.

Aaron
    Dell Studio 1558, 6 gigs RAM, i5-460M processor, dual core, hyperthreading, 10.10 primary, W7 in Virtualbox, learning, please tell me where to find the manual, Keep in touch. <><

Beans
    Distro

So I updated, and I got this (error?) message:

Code:
    You are upgrading from a version which might have corrupted service/component registry files (*.rdb), especially /var/lib/openoffice/basis3.1/program/services.rdb and the rdb files in /var/spool/openoffice/uno_packages/cache for installed extensions.

If you experience problems with the component manager or segmentation faults involving libstore in either unopkg or OpenOffice.org, please check these files. Try cleanly reinstalling the packages and/or using a clean user profile.
    I clicked "forward" and it unpackaged everything, should I have clicked cancel? The dialogue seemed to have a lot of errors in it that I didn't understand, is this normal?

Now that it's all done, I seem to have openoffice 3.2 and I'm not getting any errors when I open it.

What do I do? Is it possible to roll this PPA update back if I have problems with it?

Thanks,

Aaron
    Dell Studio 1558, 6 gigs RAM, i5-460M processor, dual core, hyperthreading, 10.10 primary, W7 in Virtualbox, learning, please tell me where to find the manual, Keep in touch. <><

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by aaronchall View Post
    So I updated, and I got this (error?) message:

Code:
    You are upgrading from a version which might have corrupted service/component registry files (*.rdb), especially /var/lib/openoffice/basis3.1/program/services.rdb and the rdb files in /var/spool/openoffice/uno_packages/cache for installed extensions.

If you experience problems with the component manager or segmentation faults involving libstore in either unopkg or OpenOffice.org, please check these files. Try cleanly reinstalling the packages and/or using a clean user profile.
    I clicked "forward" and it unpackaged everything, should I have clicked cancel? The dialogue seemed to have a lot of errors in it that I didn't understand, is this normal?

Now that it's all done, I seem to have openoffice 3.2 and I'm not getting any errors when I open it.

What do I do? Is it possible to roll this PPA update back if I have problems with it?

Thanks,

Aaron
    I got the same warning, I ignored and let it install and so far, everything in OO 3.2 is working fine, from Impress to Draw to Writer so I guess, nothing went wrong.
    The finding of unity in variety is really what we call knowledge..... Vivekananda.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I had that same warning and all seems fine too.

V.happy to have upgraded at last.

Beans
    Distro

Confirmation bias! How do we KNOW nothing's wrong?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by aaronchall View Post
    Confirmation bias! How do we KNOW nothing's wrong?
    If there was, OO would have many issues including not starting and also dkpg would indicate installation errors.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Hallo, Yesterday i upgraded to openoffice 3.2 from 3.1 using the scribbler's ppa and following the method propossed in http://www.webupd8.org/2010/03/insta...-from-ppa.html.

I had the problem indicated here
    Code:

I continued installation but when i tried to run openoffice 3.2 it failed.

I removed the ppa repository from sources, updated sources and through synaptic tried to force the release openoffice 3.1 but something went wrong (or i did something bad) and i obtain the error "component manager cannot run openoffice". I deleted openoffice.org and install it again but the problem persisted.

So i uninstalled with synaptic openoffice.org and openoffice.org-core packages, I add the new ppa repository for openoffice 3.2 and updated it.

This time installation worked and now i have openoffice 3.2 running.

My question is if I want to have the original openoffice 3.1, what I have to do?, what packages i have to uninstall and what to install (please, step by step method).

Thankyou very much in advance.

Regards

Beans

This is good info, but it also illustrates why Ubuntu will never be a factor on the desktop. Normal people who are only users want the applications updatable and could care less about the underlying system.

Unless the major apps, things like Open Office, Gimp, Mozilla, Evolution, are back-ported to current LTS versions you will have no end of ill will for every system update that goes wrong, and they will likely be correct in thinking that Windows 7 And MS Office are cheap at twice the price.

These instructions seemed to work fine for getting OO-3.2 on Ubuntu 8.04, but I don't use OO enough to notice issues with minor features. Fonts and spell checking seem fine.
    Your commitment to Freedom is measured by your tolerence for others doing things you disapprove.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If Ubuntu is trying to make sure about stability of the system by not going for latest greatest cutting edge may I ask where is the harm in that? Also to add the PPA, its just matter of copy paste in terminal or go GUI via synaptic route. Every six months, Ubuntu comes with new distros which has latest updated software as well so users have a choice of latest and best. LTS is for stability so updates are only on basis of need, there is always the PPA or enabling backports route.
    Last edited by Linuxforall; March 27th, 2010 at 04:34 AM.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast