Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: How To: Install OpenOffice 3.2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: How To: Install OpenOffice 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by claracc View Post
    Hallo, Yesterday i upgraded to openoffice 3.2 from 3.1 using the scribbler's ppa and following the method propossed in http://www.webupd8.org/2010/03/insta...-from-ppa.html.

I had the problem indicated here

I continued installation but when i tried to run openoffice 3.2 it failed.

I removed the ppa repository from sources, updated sources and through synaptic tried to force the release openoffice 3.1 but something went wrong (or i did something bad) and i obtain the error "component manager cannot run openoffice". I deleted openoffice.org and install it again but the problem persisted.

So i uninstalled with synaptic openoffice.org and openoffice.org-core packages, I add the new ppa repository for openoffice 3.2 and updated it.

This time installation worked and now i have openoffice 3.2 running.

My question is if I want to have the original openoffice 3.1, what I have to do?, what packages i have to uninstall and what to install (please, step by step method).

Thankyou very much in advance.

Regards
    I had this same problem. I added the PPA, apt-get update then upgrade, and OOo no longer runs. All I had to do was go into package manager, right click openoffice and choose "mark upgrade" and it works beautifully. nothing complicated at all.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by SwimDude0614 View Post
    I had this same problem. I added the PPA, apt-get update then upgrade, and OOo no longer runs. All I had to do was go into package manager, right click openoffice and choose "mark upgrade" and it works beautifully. nothing complicated at all.
    If you wish to revert back to OO 3.1, just remove the ppa entry and reload synaptic, install OO 3.1, as simple as that. My upgrade to OO 3.2 via PPA went quite smooth, no issues on four machines I have upgraded so far.
    The finding of unity in variety is really what we call knowledge..... Vivekananda.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Spot on!

Cheers for these instructions - installing 3.2 was giving me grief for some reason, but your help was invaluable.

Beans

Remember what you remove and re-install the missing dictionaries

For me:

Code:
           The following packages will be REMOVED:
      aspell aspell-en aspell-fr dictionaries-common hunspell-en-us hunspell-fr
      language-support-en language-support-writing-en language-support-writing-fr
      myspell-en-au myspell-en-gb myspell-en-za openoffice.org-base-core
      openoffice.org-calc openoffice.org-common openoffice.org-core
      openoffice.org-draw openoffice.org-emailmerge openoffice.org-gnome
      openoffice.org-gtk openoffice.org-help-en-gb openoffice.org-help-en-us
      openoffice.org-hyphenation openoffice.org-hyphenation-en-us
      openoffice.org-impress openoffice.org-l10n-common openoffice.org-l10n-en-gb
      openoffice.org-l10n-en-za openoffice.org-math openoffice.org-style-human
      openoffice.org-thesaurus-en-au openoffice.org-thesaurus-en-us
      openoffice.org-writer python-uno wbritish wfrench
    i.e. aspell & hunspell to re-install on my system.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    Open Office 3.2 will only be available with Lucid. If you want to upgrade now, follow this howto.
    Is it possible to get OO 3.1 or 3.2 in Jaunty? I'm considering moving to Karmic or Lucid, but it won't be for a bit. Mostly I want the ability to colour-code tabs, which is possible in my print server's Karmic (OO v 3.1) but not in Jaunty's (3.0).
    Last edited by SydneyGB; July 11th, 2010 at 05:35 PM. Reason: closed quote tag, duh.
    Sydney's Linux Adventures: A record of my thrashings and bashings in Linux:
    http://sydneys-linux.blogspot.com/
    My Writing Blog: dropsofbloodonmyforehead.blogspot.com

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Post Re: How To: Install OpenOffice 3.2

Since few days there is update available. Open Office is automatically downloading version 3.2.1 to desktop. Once that is downloaded, things are easier than before.

1) Unpack it

In Terminal cd to main directory and:

2) sudo sh ./update

After that you will be seen a lot of:

Preparing to replace ooobasis ...
    Unpacking replacement ooobasis ...

Once done - 3.2.1 version will be fully installed and integrated!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Anybody had success with these directions using Ubuntu 9.04 (or Mint 7)??

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Subito Piano View Post
    Anybody had success with these directions using Ubuntu 9.04 (or Mint 7)??
    yes. here is a ping-point to this thread http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-ins...html#more-4011

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks,nomnex!

Anyone still trying to do this with the lastest version (OpenOffice 3.2.1) -- it's not rocket science to change a few numbers, but here's the tweaked directions if you need them:

Firstly, go to the OpenOffice website: http://download.openoffice.org/ and download the Linux .deb file.

1 - Once you have done that, extract the .deb file (i just click on it and let the GUI program do the work)

Then you'll see a file called OOO320_m18_native_packed-1_en-US.9502

2 - You can remove the existing version of OpenOffice if you wish with this command:

sudo apt-get remove openoffice*.*

3 - Copy and paste OOO320_m18_native_packed-1_en-US.9502 onto the desktop then open Terminal and paste this command:

sudo dpkg -i ~/Desktop/OOO320_m18_native_packed-1_en-US.9502/DEBS/*.deb

4 - Then paste this command:

sudo dpkg -i ~/Desktop/OOO320_m18_native_packed-1_en-US.9502/DEBS/desktop-integration/openoffice.org3.2-debian-menus_3.2-9502_all.deb

Once you've done that you'll find OpenOffice 3.2 under "Office" in the menu.

When they upgrade to the next version of OpenOffice, use the same commands, changing to reflect the new file name of the packed file you download and the unpacked file you create.

Rationale for this: I've had a couple older computers that simply DON'T like Mint 9/Ubuntu 10.04....but Mint 7/Ubuntu 9.04 works just fine.
    Last edited by Subito Piano; January 18th, 2011 at 04:52 PM. Reason: clarity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxforall View Post

Also bear in mind that removing OO also removes the metapackage ubuntu-desktop and ordinarily that shouldn't be a problem till you try and upgrade your distro.
    Anyone know if there is any way round this? I would like to upgrade to OO 3.2 (or even 3.3 now that it is available) but I don't want to lose the option of upgrading my distro at a later date. I am currently on Ubuntu 8.04.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast