Beans

Re: How To: Install OpenOffice 3.2

Which version is it? 3.2.5?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by leandromartinez98 View Post
    The installation worked for me but many features are missing. For instance, I cannot insert mpeg and mov movies in presentations. I uninstalled it an installed 3.1 again to get back.
    Yep, that's why the GO-OO version (or the Ubuntu variant of the GO-OO is more useful). See Post #45

- CH
    Linux Registered User #434330

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Unhappy Re: How To: Install OpenOffice 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by cement_head View Post

****IF YOU WANT TO ACTUALLY UPGRADE****

You need to WAIT. Probably by the end of this week (Feb 15th, 2010) there will be an upgrade path available by adding this repository to your sources (SYSTEM>ADMINISTRATION>SOFTWARE SOURCES, click the "Other Software" Tab, click the ADD button and copy & paste this ppapenoffice-pkgs/ppa into the dialogue.)

Then run Update Manager and you should be able to UPGRADE.
    No, this does not work any more (if it ever truly did). When trying to add the recommended software source I get an error message which says the directory is not available and may have been moved or deleted.

This is one of the frustrating things about Ubuntu and Linux in general. One of those things which have me keep Windows as my primary operating system. I too often find myself trying to work from posted messages which encourage readers to solve a problem or issue by relying on information which is no longer valid. In this case the original message partially quoted above was reportedly posted only a week ago. And now it is wrong and not reliable already.
    Cheerily Yours,
    Tim_Olaguna

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_Olaguna View Post
    No, this does not work any more (if it ever truly did). When trying to add the recommended software source I get an error message which says the directory is not available and may have been moved or deleted.

This is one of the frustrating things about Ubuntu and Linux in general. One of those things which have me keep Windows as my primary operating system. I too often find myself trying to work from posted messages which encourage readers to solve a problem or issue by relying on information which is no longer valid. In this case the original message partially quoted above was reportedly posted only a week ago. And now it is wrong and not reliable already.
    Regarding the PPA, to my knowledge it is just not available yet. No one promised it would be available now. One person said may be available by the end of the week. The notes on it say "this cycle" if I recall correctly. You could always install it the other way. This is the NICE thing about linux: multiple ways of doing things, in an open way. I don't have to have the update, so I'm willing to wait for it to move to the PPA route. If you need it immediately, do the other install, or learn to compile it yourself from the code.

Frustrating to wait, yes. But don't say "it doesn't work" when you don't understand it or don't read the posts. If someone here knows for a fact the PPA won't ever be available, please say so, but no guessing, ok?
    Dell Studio 1558, 6 gigs RAM, i5-460M processor, dual core, hyperthreading, 10.10 primary, W7 in Virtualbox, learning, please tell me where to find the manual, Keep in touch. <><

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Cool Re: How To: Install OpenOffice 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by RastaCalavera View Post
    after I extracted the tar.gz file and copied it to the desktop, I went into terminal and pasted
    sudo dpkg -i ~/Desktop/OOO320_m12_native_packed-1_en-US.9483/DEBS/*.deb

it then asked for my password and i entered it and then it said this

kylemchugh@Tuesday:~$ cd Desktop
    kylemchugh@Tuesday:~/Desktop$ sudo dpkg -i ~/Desktop/OOO320_m12_native_packed-1_en-US.9483/DEBS/*.deb
    dpkg: error processing /home/kylemchugh/Desktop/OOO320_m12_native_packed-1_en-US.9483/DEBS/*.deb (--install):
    cannot access archive: No such file or directory
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /home/kylemchugh/Desktop/OOO320_m12_native_packed-1_en-US.9483/DEBS/*.deb
    kylemchugh@Tuesday:~/Desktop$

This is after I changed to the Desktop folder from root. I get similar errors when I just put in the code with out going to desktop.

Help?
    I think you have downloaded the OOo_3.2.0_LinuxIntel_install_wJRE_en-US.tar.gz package, which is sometimes given by OpenOffice website as default download option. Check the package which you have downloaded?

The tutorial mentioned here works on the .deb package.

If you can't download the .deb package, then you can manually download it from this page.
    Select the exact package which is mentioned in the tutorial.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

On 9.04, I also had problems with spelling dictionaries with other applications after the installation of the en_GB version of OO 3.2.0 as instructed in the first post, the installation had removed the gnome-spell, myspell-en-gb, aspell packages.

A quick re-install of those packages then the other apps (pidgeon, evolution email) all seem to be back to normal. I think

10 things about binary you should know.
    Some people get it - the rest don't.

Beans

Talking Re: How To: Install OpenOffice 3.2

thnx very much .i've been wondering how to launch openoffice 3.2 after installation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hello,

Well, it looks as though we might not get an upgrade path (via the PPA) for OpenOffice 3.2.0; might have to wait for 3.2.1?

CC; any comment?

- CH
    Linux Registered User #434330

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Worked great.

Thanks for doing the footwork.
    UP THE IRONS!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by timjohn7 View Post
    Did you perhaps download a different language version of OpenOffice? The quoted command is for the US language version so you have to change the US part in the command to the language version you downloaded. In other words, check that the part after /OOO320-m12_native_packed-i_en is exactly the same as the filename you downloaded.

Do the same for the last command in the original post.
    Thanks for chin checking me! I was making a stupid mistake hahahah got it working smooth now

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast