Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 121

Thread: How To: Install OpenOffice 3.2

  1. #71
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Beans
    7

    Re: How To: Install OpenOffice 3.2

    sorry, is there going to be an upgrade path for jaunty?
    this is the kind of thing that's very important for ordinary ubuntu users! please will someone official clarify. don't mean to sound annoyed and i do appreciate everyone's work but such a major part of the system must be properly maintained or it looks.. bad. unprofessional. again, no disrespect to anyone offering help here, these guides are appreciated.

    i think if there is no technical reason why not then openoffice updates should be supported several ubuntu versions back, and in a timely fashion. it's not ok to say "upgrade to karmic/lucid". people have otherwise working systems and jobs to do, 9.04 isn't very old and we can't be risking a business by doing total system upgrades every 6 months. there are new features in OO.o 3.2 that are vital to some businesses like handling of passworded MS office files. i do feel this reflects on whether ubuntu want to be taken seriously as a business platform. i hope i'm making sense and not missing a huge announcement somewhere.
    Last edited by Smiff2; February 22nd, 2010 at 03:11 PM.

  2. #72
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Oxford, OH, USA
    Beans
    994
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: How To: Install OpenOffice 3.2

    Well,

    OO3.2rc4 is still in Lucid, and the final release is actually rc5, so the bleeding edge Ubuntu is still slightly behind. My guess is that it might be another week or so before the 3.2.0rc5 (a.k.a 3.2.0 FINAL) makes it into Lucid and the PPA.

    - CH
    ________________________________
    DELL e6420 Laptop
    Ubuntu Pagolin Precise 12.04 LTS
    Linux Registered User #434330

  3. #73
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Beans
    4

    Re: How To: Install OpenOffice 3.2

    ok, I can wait but I hope I get some indication that 3.2 is available instead of looking for it but not a big deal either way. I reinstalled 3.1 and it opens up OO Writer in 2 seconds on the 2nd start. It takes 7 seconds the first time. I don't recall it being that snappy with the stock version (whatever that 3.1 OO version in a new Ubuntu install is called)

  4. #74
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Beans
    11

    Re: How To: Install OpenOffice 3.2

    Cheers for the 'How To' guide, works perfectly! I am using Linux Mint 7 (based on Ubuntu Jaunty).

  5. #75
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Oxford, OH, USA
    Beans
    994
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: How To: Install OpenOffice 3.2

    Quote Originally Posted by ftw View Post
    ok, I can wait but I hope I get some indication that 3.2 is available instead of looking for it but not a big deal either way. I reinstalled 3.1 and it opens up OO Writer in 2 seconds on the 2nd start. It takes 7 seconds the first time. I don't recall it being that snappy with the stock version (whatever that 3.1 OO version in a new Ubuntu install is called)
    Probably because its less integrated into the Ubuntu installation?
    ________________________________
    DELL e6420 Laptop
    Ubuntu Pagolin Precise 12.04 LTS
    Linux Registered User #434330

  6. #76
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MN
    Beans
    42
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: How To: Install OpenOffice 3.2

    after I extracted the tar.gz file and copied it to the desktop, I went into terminal and pasted
    sudo dpkg -i ~/Desktop/OOO320_m12_native_packed-1_en-US.9483/DEBS/*.deb

    it then asked for my password and i entered it and then it said this

    kylemchugh@Tuesday:~$ cd Desktop
    kylemchugh@Tuesday:~/Desktop$ sudo dpkg -i ~/Desktop/OOO320_m12_native_packed-1_en-US.9483/DEBS/*.deb
    dpkg: error processing /home/kylemchugh/Desktop/OOO320_m12_native_packed-1_en-US.9483/DEBS/*.deb (--install):
    cannot access archive: No such file or directory
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /home/kylemchugh/Desktop/OOO320_m12_native_packed-1_en-US.9483/DEBS/*.deb
    kylemchugh@Tuesday:~/Desktop$

    This is after I changed to the Desktop folder from root. I get similar errors when I just put in the code with out going to desktop.

    Help?

  7. #77
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Campinas, SP - Brasil
    Beans
    355

    Re: How To: Install OpenOffice 3.2

    The installation worked for me but many features are missing. For instance, I cannot insert mpeg and mov movies in presentations. I uninstalled it an installed 3.1 again to get back.

  8. #78
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Beans
    154
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: How To: Install OpenOffice 3.2

    Quote Originally Posted by RastaCalavera View Post
    after I extracted the tar.gz file and copied it to the desktop, I went into terminal and pasted
    sudo dpkg -i ~/Desktop/OOO320_m12_native_packed-1_en-US.9483/DEBS/*.deb

    it then asked for my password and i entered it and then it said this

    kylemchugh@Tuesday:~$ cd Desktop
    kylemchugh@Tuesday:~/Desktop$ sudo dpkg -i ~/Desktop/OOO320_m12_native_packed-1_en-US.9483/DEBS/*.deb
    dpkg: error processing /home/kylemchugh/Desktop/OOO320_m12_native_packed-1_en-US.9483/DEBS/*.deb (--install):
    cannot access archive: No such file or directory
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /home/kylemchugh/Desktop/OOO320_m12_native_packed-1_en-US.9483/DEBS/*.deb
    kylemchugh@Tuesday:~/Desktop$

    This is after I changed to the Desktop folder from root. I get similar errors when I just put in the code with out going to desktop.

    Help?
    Did you perhaps download a different language version of OpenOffice? The quoted command is for the US language version so you have to change the US part in the command to the language version you downloaded. In other words, check that the part after /OOO320-m12_native_packed-i_en is exactly the same as the filename you downloaded.

    Do the same for the last command in the original post.
    But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
    I've got nothin' but affection for all those who've sailed with me. Mississippi: Bob Dylan
    Registered Ubuntu User # 23094

  9. #79
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Beans
    53
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: How To: Install OpenOffice 3.2

    Worked like a charm. Thanks a lot
    I reinforce the frail with lyrics that's real - Nas

  10. #80
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Beans
    11

    Re: How To: Install OpenOffice 3.2

    Quote Originally Posted by Xirev View Post
    Cheers for the 'How To' guide, works perfectly! I am using Linux Mint 7 (based on Ubuntu Jaunty).
    Actually I take it back. It screwed up language support for me. When I reinstalled language support, that screwed up OpenOffice, and I can't have them together. I got back to OpenOffice 3.0.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •