Thread: How To: Install OpenOffice 3.2

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How To: Install OpenOffice 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by cement_head View Post
    Hello,

Just to be perfectly clear, the method posted in this forum thread is NOT an upgrade, it is a NEW install. This method does not replace the existing 3.1.1 Ubuntu version of OpenOffice. It will install the Generic Linux non-distro specific version from SUN Microsystems alongside (at the same time) with the existing Ubuntu OO install. The 3.1.1 that is included with Karmic Koala is a distro (Ubuntu) specific version that has MANY differences; among them are:

1) Ubuntu OO is installed to a different location than the SUN variant.
    2) Ubuntu OO has 3D OpenGL acceleration.
    3) Ubuntu OO has complete integration with the Ubuntu distro (desktop, etc).
    4) Ubuntu OO has full functionality of animation and multimedia.

I believe that the Ubuntu OO is a derivative of the GO OpenOffice.

****IF YOU WANT TO ACTUALLY UPGRADE****

You need to WAIT. Probably by the end of this week (Feb 15th, 2010) there will be an upgrade path available by adding this repository to your sources (SYSTEM>ADMINISTRATION>SOFTWARE SOURCES, click the "Other Software" Tab, click the ADD button and copy & paste this ppapenoffice-pkgs/ppa into the dialogue.)

Then run Update Manager and you should be able to UPGRADE.
    Excellent advice and bear in mind, removing OO 3.1 from Ubuntu also removes metapackage Ubuntu desktop so when you chose a path to upgrade to Lynx rather than fresh install, you will run into issues.
    The finding of unity in variety is really what we call knowledge..... Vivekananda.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

BTW, will that PPA use go-oo or vanilla openoffice?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by cb951303 View Post
    BTW, will that PPA use go-oo or vanilla openoffice?
    Go-OO.
    The finding of unity in variety is really what we call knowledge..... Vivekananda.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Lightbulb Re: How To: Install OpenOffice 3.2

I recommend this thread. Thank you!
    advocating Free and Open Source Software, supporting the Open Web
    fight for your right to party and get your free cloud storage now

Beans

It works really fast on Xubuntu Karmic Koala, the insallation was succesfull.
    Tks guys,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxforall View Post
    Excellent advice and bear in mind, removing OO 3.1 from Ubuntu also removes metapackage Ubuntu desktop so when you chose a path to upgrade to Lynx rather than fresh install, you will run into issues.
    So you're saying that going the PPA route will give me issues? Or you weren't addressing my question, just reiterating a previously made point? And what exactly does PPA mean?

Thanks!
    Dell Studio 1558, 6 gigs RAM, i5-460M processor, dual core, hyperthreading, 10.10 primary, W7 in Virtualbox, learning, please tell me where to find the manual, Keep in touch. <><

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The insallation was succesfull.

Thank you!

Beans

doesn't look like the ppa https://launchpad.net/~openoffice-pkgs/+archive/ppa has been updated.

is there going to be an upgrade path for Jaunty or should I give up and install it manually from Sun? would prefer a proper update if possible.

or am i looking at the wrong ppa? that ppa only shows Hardy in the filter!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Smiff2 View Post
    doesn't look like the ppa https://launchpad.net/~openoffice-pkgs/+archive/ppa has been updated.

is there going to be an upgrade path for Jaunty or should I give up and install it manually from Sun? would prefer a proper update if possible.

or am i looking at the wrong ppa? that ppa only shows Hardy in the filter!
    Remember that "end of the week" phrase? Well the 15th was only about 3 days ago...

I'm just being patient and waiting with bated breath. I'd still like an answer to my earlier questions, especially these two:

"Are there any caveats with adding this ppa?

If I choose to upgrade to Ubuntu 10.4, will there be any issues with openoffice resulting from this?"

Aaron
    Dell Studio 1558, 6 gigs RAM, i5-460M processor, dual core, hyperthreading, 10.10 primary, W7 in Virtualbox, learning, please tell me where to find the manual, Keep in touch. <><

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by aaronchall View Post
    Remember that "end of the week" phrase? Well the 15th was only about 3 days ago...

I'm just being patient and waiting with bated breath. I'd still like an answer to my earlier questions, especially these two:

"Are there any caveats with adding this ppa?Aaron
    No, using the PPA is safe, because you can always use Synaptic to force a downgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronchall View Post
    If I choose to upgrade to Ubuntu 10.4, will there be any issues with openoffice resulting from this?"
    Aaron
    No, the Lucid Lynx packages will have different numbering and upgrading should not be a problem. Also non-standard (third-party) repositories are disabled during upgrade.

- CH
    Linux Registered User #434330

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast