Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why does my internet get slower in the snow?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Why does my internet get slower in the snow?

Quote Originally Posted by robertcoulson View Post
    And as far as repeaters go, I have never seen one that weather has altered in my many years with a telecommunication company.....
    Good point. In my area, deliberate vandalism of the roadside cabinets and other pariphenalia is a more likely source of damage than the weather on its own.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!

Correct Lisati...But I guess we have beaten this thread to death...Seems the originator has disappeared and we are left beating a dead horse so to speak.
    Bob

pwnst*r is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by LowSky View Post
    LOL, FAIL!!!

Maybe your connections slows down because your entire area is at home using the internet too. Just a thought...
    This is incorrect also. FIOS does not share a "local LAN" like cable does. It goes directly to the ISP's CO.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Electrons on a copper cable and light photons down a fibre will shrink in cold weather, causing gaps between each individual electron/photon. As a result, it would take more energy to push these subatomic particles down the transmission media because they are not all touching (some energy is lost by filling in the gaps). When the stream loses energy, it loses pushing power and therefore the electrons and photons travel slower.

If you had an enterprise level modem, you probably wouldn't notice the difference in speed without using speed testing software. However, the problem of smaller photons and smaller electrons causes ANOTHER problem in home networking equipment, which tends to be lower quality than enterprise hardware. Your modem isn't designed to be able to detect the smaller electrons and photons, and some of the smallest ones may go past without being read. This causes packet loss, and your computer will have to request certain packets again.

The two of these factors cause the noticably lower speed in icy, snowy conditions. Fortunately, I live in Australia where it gets quite hot in the summer time. The electrons (no fibre-to-the-node here) get bigger due to the heat, which has the reverse effect of the cold conditions and allows the electrons to run faster down the copper wire. The bigger electrons are also easier for the modem to see, so lower packet loss.

Living in Australia does have one downside - I have to lock down my wifi network pretty securely. The high outdoors heat causes the wifi's electromagnetic field to increase, and also causes the range to increase. Somebody in the next suburb over can pick up my wifi network without even a cantenna.
    Last edited by 3rdalbum; February 11th, 2010 at 03:35 PM.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny_Strawn View Post
    Probably because optical fiber cables get cloudy when they freeze, in such a way that not as much light can pass through them.
    Comedy gold, as usual.

OP: There's a phat photon stuck in the line. Just like when my cable internet slows down, it's usually because a fat electron is stuck. Running a ping -c 9999 usually clears it out, it's like an angioplasty for the lines.
    The views expressed in this post belong to Tristam Green and do not represent the views of any other entity, foreign or domestic, as long as you both shall live, Amen.
    OMG! Cheesecake! | Fuduntu - catch the fever!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by pwnst*r View Post
    This is incorrect also. FIOS does not share a "local LAN" like cable does. It goes directly to the ISP's CO.

well, it goes to the neighborhood head end. usually within 3KM.
    Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.

Beans

What you all have to understand is that the internet is a series of tubes and when you put your messages in they can be delayed by other things in the tubes. And just like real tubes, they can freeze in winter.

You should try wrapping your ethernet cables when it gets cold out.

Beans

When one part of the network breaks down the other parts have to work harder to fill the gap.

It's like when one road gets closed all the other ones get a little busier.

Also, when it's cold people don't go outside and when there is a weather event people want to talk about it online, so the internet gets a little busier.

Another reason might be to do with the time of day... Alot of ISP's limit connection speeds at certain points during the day. So if you're at home at a time when you aren't normally home you may experience a difference in performance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

We used to have problems in wet weather due to water seeping into the cable box at the top of the road. It would cause interference on the phone line (I guess from short-circuiting?) and this would cause our broadband to slow down or disconnect completely.

Got sorted out eventually but it took a long time, as the interference had a tendency to disappear once the repair man finally got to our house to check the line.

Beans
    Hidden!

When you use DSL from the telephone company and you have moisture in the lines, this WILL degrad telephone service along with high speed or dial up...They did extensive testing on fiber cable....testing was done from -50 °C to 125 °C with a 2 °C ramp rate and 1 hr dwell....This relates to approx. less than 0.2 dB/m change in insertion loss during the thermal cycling.
    There are about 6 different fiber cable configurations, with some shrinkage on the outside casing will affect the CONNECTIONS only, not the fiber cable itself.
    But enough of the fiber...Telephones DSL will not loss speed because you are on your own wire back to the Central Office Switch....Cable will loose speed as more people put demand on it..and YES, in a way SNOW could and sometimes will slow down your speed.
    Bob

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123