Thread: Voice Recognition, Languages required

Beans

Lightbulb Voice Recognition, Languages required

I use ubuntu in my Jeep, very religiously. I have integrated a touch screen into my console and it runs to my Atom board under the back seat. Now that I have gotten that out of the way, I would like to further the use of this into the drivers seat.

Voice Recognition is often a touchy subject, that often would not be touched with a ten foot pole. Microsoft's best attempts led them to: killer delete select all. That is often a comedic EPIC Fail. But I am not interested in typing a letter to my aunt, I mean mom. I just wanted to do some simple things.

I see the application able to accept *.ogg or *.wav files and when recognized run a script. Thats it. The user can add or subtract options and change the scripts as needed and can only blame themselves.

I am very familiar with Java Programming, and am anxious to learn a new more. I would like to know what languages would be necessary for this type of application, and if you know of any tools out there for this to work on the back-end.

I don't want to start a "my language is better that yours" war, as easily as that can be done and to fit nicely with any existing software if any.

ps: I am not interested in having an end result in anything that types into a document, there is too much room for error.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Voice Recognition, Languages required

Have a look here. I haven't tried it, but it may do what you need.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

There are some things that may work in Wine that can provide this functionality, but as far as I know it would have to be an original program you put together yourself to do this. Of course, I fully encourage you to take a look at this article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speech_...ition_in_Linux

Beans

Well thankyou, all I found after extensive searching was dragon naturally speaking, with with wine.