Thread: a problem solved,may help others.

Beans

a problem solved,may help others.

Recently removed my partners pc components to a new case and ran into a problem with the darn thing not booting correctly.
    It complained about there being no media to boot from,allthough doing a reset it decided there was something to boot from and went ahead anyway.

After checking all connections were sound and correctly made I couldn't for the life of me see what was wrong! My partner said that it wasnt too clever at booting anyway.

After sitting and staring for ages I suddenly found a straw to grasp.

The Motherboard was a SATA/PATA type with only one PATA connector-The Hard Drive and DVD drive were both PATA.
    As is the custom there was a spring loaded flap at the top of the case for hiding the DVD drive-so naturally this is were I put the thing,the Disk drive being mounted just below 1/2 way down.

To get the ribbon cable to connect to both I had arranged it so that the two connectors closest to each other connencted the Motherboard to the Disk drive with the DVD being connected via the plug on the far end of the cable |m/b====|dd============|dvd

In the days before SATA one cable would be used to connect 2 D/drives if you had 2,the end of the ribbon with connectors close together being the end connected to the drives and similar if you had 2 CD/DVD d rives.

I moved the DVD drive to the bottom of the 51/2 stack and reversed the cable, problem gone!

So if you are having Booty problems check the orientation of your drives/cables,and if necessary move your DVD closer to the Hard drive and use the two connectors closest to each other on the cable to connect them and the most remote connector to the Motherboard.

eddie

PS. I have since been told that setting both Hard drive and DVD to Cable Select instead of Master/Slave would have solved the problem??
    Last edited by eddier; February 9th, 2010 at 11:16 PM.