Thread: failed ubuntu install on dell dimension c521

Beans

failed ubuntu install on dell dimension c521

recently tried installing Ubuntu 9.10 on a Dell machine....
    narhhh...

first screen I saw after the 7 install steps finished was a kosmik mess of coloured pixels!
    eventually got a response - issues witht he video drivers...

anyway - in the process the drive wouldnt release the disc so eventually i forced it open and the disc is now scratched up...

first step - where do I get a nice and easy ubuntu iso that I can burn straight to disc from? (the last one was off the magazine)

second step - i'll try reinstalling it and hopefully that'll sort it

if not - is there common problems trying to get it to run on dells tat? could the Dell bios and so on be screwing with it?

thts a pretty picture"

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: failed ubuntu install on dell dimension c521

Get a download here http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download. I'm guessing a fresh install should work unless you have hardware issues.
    Check out my Youtube channel for some awesome gaming videos, including Dragonforce, "Through the Fire and Flames" on Expert Performance Mode from Guitar Hero III. My Youtube Channel

Beans

cheers for the link
    yeh I just don't like Dells fullstop - whatever they shove in them seems to gradually grind to a halt!
    I'll try a fresh install tho.

gotta lot to learn still with Linux - it's definately got some bugs - lots of silly annoying things - trying to expand a youtube window to full screen crashes firefox?!?!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Are you using the integrated Nvidia graphics or the optional ATI card?

The Nvidia may be the better choice for Linux.
    Good enough to get myself in trouble.

Beans

Welcome to Ubuntu!

A Nicer/cheaper way of installing is via USB key, too. DL the file and write it to USB instead of CD, and you're away- also, changing install version is easy enough...

Mostly Dell seems to play fine with Linux, but Linux does hardware reasonably well. Your video issues are possibly Intel drivers; make sure you've got a recent version as they got messed up badly for most of last year.

Beans

there were various popups about Nvidia drives I think.... need to check whats onboard actually - will be popping down there later so will have another look and get some propper info! cheers

Beans

The dimension C521 may have (read: may be, maybe not) issues with USB (this is known problem). If after installing Ubuntu, you seem unable to get the mouse or keyboard working, install a powered USB hub. This will solve the problem, if you should have it.