Thread: Ubuntu & Dell (and other manufacturers)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ubuntu & Dell (and other manufacturers)

I remember last year that Dell were doing laptop deals with Ubuntu as the supplied OS, removing the need for the almighty Vista. This seems to have disappeared from Dell's offered products. Does anyone have any info on this? Is it because Windows 7 is released and Microsoft have some pull on this manufacturer? Or just Dell not seeing enough interest in Ubuntu? Pretty unsatisfactory either way.

And does anyone have any suggestions of how to get a laptop package without Windows - any particular manufacturers which are accommodating?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Ubuntu & Dell (and other manufacturers)

Even last year they only seemed to sell Linux on the Mini 10V (I bought one). Looks like they've all gone now.

It's a shame.

There are some overpriced netbooks with Linux on on bechtle.ie. You are supposed to be able to get Lenovo's and HP's with Linux on. I just went to the HP website and although they list FreeDOS and SUSE as options when you actually click the links the only laptops that come up (almost all the time) have ******* on.

Personally I bought my last laptop from Dell with Windows 7 on wiped it and put Ubuntu on. I run the copy of Windows inside VirtualBox in case I need to support a Win 7 user over the phone.

It just pisses me off that I have to give another vote to the incumbent to get a good value good quality laptop. That is what the EU should be investigating.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

ive seen an array of online stores offering laptops with no os, its just as handy to fill it with what ever Linux you like, or handy again buy one with no hard drive and use your current (assuming your using one now of course)
    i wouldn't like to post any address as depending on where you are and such you may find some stores better for you but if your stuck ill be happy to send you a few

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Last I checked (about a month ago), tell sold a VERY limited variety of their computers with Ubuntu 8.04. I think it was only netbooks. This offer was only available on their U.S. website and not their overseas stores.

I would actually prefer to be able to buy a blank machine and install whatever I want on it. This wouldn't be terribly hard for dell seeing as there is no middle man with them, unlike when you go into a store and buy a computer.
    "Hello, I.T., have you tried turning it off and on again?"

My Blog - thoughts, opinions, etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by andru183 View Post
    ive seen an array of online stores offering laptops with no os, its just as handy to fill it with what ever Linux you like, or handy again buy one with no hard drive and use your current (assuming your using one now of course)
    i wouldn't like to post any address as depending on where you are and such you may find some stores better for you but if your stuck ill be happy to send you a few
    Go on then post some and we will see. I am in Ireland. I had a fecking good Google (and I am reasonably good at searching for things). You find places that purport to do this and when it comes to the crunch you can't buy them or the systems are sh*t.

The best value one I found was a Zotac Nettop from expansys, who the hell are zotac and would I want to spend €200 of my hard earned finding out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/index.html

being from ireland aswell i know what you mean, a good friend got one from this one few months back,

theres also the blank hard drive option aswell in mainland Europe

http://www.pugetsystems.com/

keep checking and you'll find more, just gotta look for the uk or Europe one's