Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Upgrading from 8.04 help please. :/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Upgrading from 8.04 help please. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Greyed View Post
    True, but it is hard to tell when the 8.04 stock kernel is not supposed to support it well.
    Who says it's "not supposed to support it well"?
    What is stopping you (or anyone) from running tests with 8.04 lpia "Dellbuntu" and then rerunning those tests with the regular i386 build of 8.04?

In fact, I'm pretty sure those tests were run, and the differences were found to be negligable and not worth maintaining another architecture which is why it was dropped. There was a conference about it during UDS months ago.
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans

My money would be on the Intel video drivers. There have been some regressions in these drivers lately, across all distros.

I use my netbooks mostly for email and forums (and have a Playstation for games ) so maybe my needs are different than yours. I did not expect the netbooks to be graphics powerhouses when I bought them. I am curious to check out the new nvidia ion platform at some point though...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by Merk42 View Post
    Who says it's "not supposed to support it well"?
    What is stopping you (or anyone) from running tests with 8.04 lpia "Dellbuntu" and then rerunning those tests with the regular i386 build of 8.04?
    Ubuntu itself?

In fact, I'm pretty sure those tests were run, and the differences were found to be negligable and not worth maintaining another architecture which is why it was dropped. There was a conference about it during UDS months ago.
    Yes, read into that issue a tad more. The move to have the base kernel compiled with options needed to support LPIA well enough to move to drop an LPIA specific distribution didn't happen until after 8.10 if memory serves. So comparing 8.04 LPIA to 8.04 i386 does nothing to address 9.10 i386.

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    My money would be on the Intel video drivers. There have been some regressions in these drivers lately, across all distros.
    I believe so, too. But part of those driver regressions are because Intel is reorganizing portions of the drivers out of user space and into, *dundundunnnnnn*, the kernel. '

I use my netbooks mostly for email and forums (and have a Playstation for games ) so maybe my needs are different than yours. I did not expect the netbooks to be graphics powerhouses when I bought them. I am curious to check out the new nvidia ion platform at some point though...
    I pointed out two specific examples. 2D games and viewing videos off a website widely known and popular for videos.

The specific game in question, and the one I use as a benchmark, is Yohoho! Puzzle Pirates. 8.10, runs smooth. 9.10, extremely choppy. And videos off of Youtube at SD (360p) quality is hardly what I would consider a requirement for a graphic powerhouse. Heck, my previous laptop, a 10 year old 667Mhz PIII plays them fine. 8.10, smooth and annotations work. 9.10, choppy at times and annotations flicker.

I'm not asking it to do even the simplest of 3D work or even high end 2D work. We're talking simple screen updates and low-rez video causing serious chugging.
    Warning: Any code examples I write are probably untested and contain bugs. Do not execute directly. Look for intent, not accuracy, please!
    L.A.G. - Jobs Dissembles - 2010/4/29

Beans

I've tried dozens of distros on my three Atom-based computers, and for Flash performance, the clear winner by far was.... (drum roll please).... Windows.

In distant second place is CentOS, which has much older drivers compared with say Ubuntu 9.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    I've tried dozens of distros on my three Atom-based computers, and for Flash performance, the clear winner by far was.... (drum roll please).... Windows.
    Well, yeah. But that ain't touching this machine. I'll just upgrade to a System76 Darter Ultra. My one Windows install is for games. My netbook/laptop ain't a gaming machine. Ergo, Ubuntu, preferably pre-installed so I can show commercial support.

In distant second place is CentOS, which has much older drivers compared with say Ubuntu 9.10.
    Well, hopefully Intel will get this mess straightened out, soon. Regardless we're straying pretty far afield and I bet the OP is all now.
    Warning: Any code examples I write are probably untested and contain bugs. Do not execute directly. Look for intent, not accuracy, please!
    L.A.G. - Jobs Dissembles - 2010/4/29

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123