Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading from 8.04 help please. :/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Upgrading from 8.04 help please. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Nickxm View Post
    I am very confused at the moment, some help would be great...

I am looking to upgrade up to 9.10.
    Do I need to use a Flash drive to install (If so, how big of a drive do I need?) or can I really do this through system sources somehow?

Thank you in advance.
    Installation Types

Netbook Remix
    1GB thumb drive with everything backed up elsewhere, because these commands will over write the partition table.
    ISO image file, or CD and another computer ubuntu-netbook-remix ISO, or kubuntu-netbook ISO, or
    Optional, large capacity SD card for storing ISO and or backing up data.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/US...lation%20Media

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you Snowpine, you have told me exactly what I needed to hear. It was the one that came installed on the mini. Guess I have to look into making a USB install. Thank you very much for letting me know that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nickxm View Post
    Thank you Snowpine, you have told me exactly what I needed to hear. It was the one that came installed on the mini. Guess I have to look into making a USB install. Thank you very much for letting me know that.
    I would highly recommend waiting for Lucid (10.04), since it is a one step upgrade to the most recent version. Only two months to go...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by recluce View Post
    I would highly recommend waiting for Lucid (10.04), since it is a one step upgrade to the most recent version. Only two months to go...
    Not for "Dellbuntu" 8.04 users... Canonical is dropping support for the lpia architecture.

A fresh reinstall is the OP's only choice at this time.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Not for "Dellbuntu" 8.04 users... Canonical is dropping support for the lpia architecture.

A fresh reinstall is the OP's only choice at this time.
    I didn't know about this - and some reading proofed that you are quite right. I don't think Cannonical is doing Ubuntu a favor. Do you know of any other Linux distributions that have ongoing lpia support?

BTW: Cannonical recommends to upgrade lpia systems no further than Jaunty!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by recluce View Post
    I didn't know about this - and some reading proofed that you are quite right. I don't think Cannonical is doing Ubuntu a favor. Do you know of any other Linux distributions that have ongoing lpia support?

BTW: Cannonical recommends to upgrade lpia systems no further than Jaunty!
    LPIA (Low Powered Intel Architecture for those just joining us) was unique to Ubuntu and its niche was an OEM offering for Dell and other netbook manufacturers. IMHO it was a marketing gimmick ("wow, Canonical made a special version of Ubuntu just for us!!!"); the Atom is well-supported by the Linux kernel itself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    the Atom is well-supported by the Linux kernel itself.
    Except it's not, still. And people repeating this does not change it.

To the OP, yes, you'll have to create a live USB and install from there. It is actually fairly painless. I would highly recommend that when you do so that you reduce your Dell Remix 8.04.2 to a small partition (16Gb is what I chose for mine) and keep it there to fall back on.

Futhermore unless you're planning on waiting for 2 months do not jump to 10.04. Note it is 10.02 right now and 10.04 is only on alpha2. There are known problems with alpha2 which, unless you're a developer, you probably don't want to deal with. Heck, I've used Linux for over a decade and I don't want to deal with them.

9.10 is the latest version available. It works, mostly. However be aware that the wireless driver is not installed by default (a regression in my book since it was in 9.04) and your video performance will suffer. If you're not watching flash videos (Youtube, et al) or doing any sort of gaming (even 2D) then you shouldn't notice. If you are watching videos and/or doing any kind of gaming you will notice the massive regression in video performance compared to Dell's 8.04.2. It is this video regression why I still maintain my 16Gb 8.04.2 partition and get a tad upset when people say the 10v is "well supported by the linux kernel itself".

Finally, consider installing stock 9.10. UNR only adds tweaks to "accomodate" the smaller screen of the netbooks. If you're like me those tweaks will probably just **** you off and getting rid of them is an exercise in head-banging frustration. Maximus, I'm lookin' at you, bub.
    Warning: Any code examples I write are probably untested and contain bugs. Do not execute directly. Look for intent, not accuracy, please!
    L.A.G. - Jobs Dissembles - 2010/4/29

Beans

Greyed makes a good argument and so I will point out that 8.04 will be fully supported through April 2011. There is no need to update at this time, if you are happy with 8.04 lpia (I wasn't and so none of my 3 Atom computers are running lpia).
    Last edited by snowpine; February 13th, 2010 at 03:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Greyed View Post
    9.10 is the latest version available. It works, mostly. However be aware that the wireless driver is not installed by default (a regression in my book since it was in 9.04) and your video performance will suffer. If you're not watching flash videos (Youtube, et al) or doing any sort of gaming (even 2D) then you shouldn't notice. If you are watching videos and/or doing any kind of gaming you will notice the massive regression in video performance compared to Dell's 8.04.2. It is this video regression why I still maintain my 16Gb 8.04.2 partition and get a tad upset when people say the 10v is "well supported by the linux kernel itself".
    But is that regression going from 8.04 to 9.10 or lpia to i386?
    If it's the former, then you really can't get upset about people saying the 10v is "well supported by the Linux kernel itself"
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

True, but it is hard to tell when the 8.04 stock kernel is not supposed to support it well. The two are so intermingled it is impossible to determine if the problem is lpia -> 386 or regressions in the kernel/video drivers.
    Warning: Any code examples I write are probably untested and contain bugs. Do not execute directly. Look for intent, not accuracy, please!
    L.A.G. - Jobs Dissembles - 2010/4/29

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast