Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading from 8.04 help please. :/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Post Upgrading from 8.04 help please. :/ [Solved]

Okay I am running a Dell Mini 10v and as stated, it is running on 8.04.2.. But when I go to Ubuntu.com and look at the upgrade information and how-to, it states how easy it is and I read through it and the pictures, it seems very easy!

Except nothing is matching up... It says I can do the upgrade by changing the update in System Sources; but I do not have an "update" tab in my System Sources... The only thing I can think of is am I not using 8.04 LTS? Is there other versions of 8.04? If so how the hell am I suppose to update it? Lol...
    (Am I running the Netbook remix..?)

I am very confused at the moment, some help would be great...

I am looking to upgrade up to 9.10.
    Do I need to use a Flash drive to install (If so, how big of a drive do I need?) or can I really do this through system sources somehow?

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Nickxm; February 9th, 2010 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Solved.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Upgrading from 8.04 help please. :/

AFIK, you can only upgrade to the next release, in turn, unless you want to do a complete install (using a Live CD etc., and which would be hardly very convenient unless you store all your documents on a separate partition, so that they don't get wiped out by the install process).

Otherwise, since you have a LTS release, why not wait for the next LTS, which will be available in April? It's actually already available in beta, but it may still be very buggy. You can upgrade directly from one LTS release to the next LTS release, so from 8.04 to 10.04, but not from 8.04 to 9.10, since Karmic Koala is not a LTS release and is therefore subject to the normal rules of not being able to leapfrog over intermediate releases.

From here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes

An upgrade is the process of going from an earlier version of Ubuntu to a newer version of Ubuntu. An example of this would be going from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntu 8.04 LTS. To avoid damaging your system, upgrading should only be done from one release to the next release (e.g. Ubuntu 9.04 to Ubuntu 9.10) or from one LTS release to the next (e.g. Ubuntu 6.06LTS to Ubuntu 8.04LTS). If you wish to 'skip' a version, you can backup your data and do a fresh installation, or progressively upgrade to each successive version. For example, to upgrade from Ubuntu 8.10 to Ubuntu 9.10, first upgrade to 9.04, then upgrade 9.04 to 9.10.
    And also worthy of note:

...The LTS version is recommended for people in an environment (generally commercial/industrial) that want to keep the same version for a longer amount of time...
    Intrepid User of Xubuntu & LXDE on:
    (1) Dell Latitude, CPi R400GT, PII 400 MHz, 256MB SDRAM, 66MHz.
    (2) Toshiba Portégé 3490CT, PIII 700 MHz, 256MB SDRAM, 100MHz.
    Both using NETGEAR MA521 Wireless PCMCIA (no issues!).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Red face Re: Upgrading from 8.04 help please. :/

I mostly use my netbook to travel and mess around with, nothing too serious. (That's what I use my Desktop for.) so I was really just looking to upgrade it and play around with new lil features and such. I am well aware that I would have to upgrade from 8.04 -> 8.10, etc but I am unaware of how to do it. Since as shown here
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/IntrepidUpgrades

It says I should be able to just hit the "Updates" tab and it's very easy but I do not have this option. Under my "Updates" tab I have just an option to automatically check for updates; nothing to change my sources to "Normal". (And for that matter, I only have tabs for Update, Third-Party Software and Authentication.)

Will I have to make a bootable USB to get to 8.10? :/

& Thank you very much for your post, having some response is very nice.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

When you enter the Update Manager, you should see a "settings" button to click. In my version, it's on the bottom left, not far from the "check" button on the bottom right hand side. When you click that, you should see the Updates tab, where my version has an option to modify which new releases are shown ...

Show New Distribution Releases:

- "Normal releases" (default setting in my case).
    - "Never".
    - "Long term support releases only".

This is at the very bottom of the tab, in my case. Do you have the "settings" button to click when you first launch the Update Manager from the System menu? I'm running Xubuntu now, or I would try to guide you more precisely if I could.

P.S. To upgrade directly to Karmic Koala, you could just use a Live CD, if you have a CD drive (and if that is more convenient).
    Last edited by Kixtosh; February 9th, 2010 at 08:02 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have no settings button either.

Here's a screenshot of my system with System Sources and Update manager open so people can kind of understand better my problem here, lol.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Again I will say thank you for the replies, it's good to see.

I am currently scouring everywhere trying to find some information on it. I can't explain it and so far am coming up empty handed that is why I posted this thread. I am still looking but not much is pointing towards why I do not have those available settings running any of the 8.04 versions.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Nickxm View Post
    I have no settings button either. ...
    Well, that doesn't look hopeful, unless other Hardy Heron users have found preference settings elsewhere that can manage this setting.

To be honest, I've read some posts where users claimed it was a lot easier to just update from a new installation rather than the usual update procedure anyhow, but I cannot offer a personal opinion on the subject since since I have yet to try the upgrade process (other than for normal updates). I'll probably keep all my documents safe (on a separate partition) for that very reason, just in case they are correct!

Hopefully somebody can offer a better answer before too long ... or at least confirm that if you wait for the new LTS release in just about two months from now, your system is actually set by default to upgrade.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Did you try this procedure yet? It will only allow you to upgrade to Intrepid Ibex, but that's one step closer, and from there you could continue on to the next two releases, if you don't want to wait for April!

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/IntrepidUpgrades

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: Upgrading from 8.04 help please. :/

I have looked through that and most seem impossible to do with what I know. I may just try to make a USB Bootdrive to update tomorrow unless when I wake up there is other users suggestions. I appreciate you trying to help Kixtosh.

Beans

Did you install Ubuntu 8.04 yourself, or is it the special "Dellbuntu" that comes preinstalled on the Mini series?

If you have the special Dellbuntu, there is no upgrade path. It was a one-time special operating system that Canonical and Dell collaborated on. You will have to do a fresh reinstall if you want a newer release (but make sure you read and understand ahead of time the steps you'll need to get wireless working).

Some good tutorials on this site: http://www.ubuntumini.com

Even if you have "regular" Ubuntu, I would still recommend a fresh reinstall as the easiest and safest way to get 9.10.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast