Thread: Supported Nvidia video cards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Supported Nvidia video cards

Good day all. I've been given the following link to assist me in deciding on a video card: HardwareSupportComponentsVideoCardsNvidia

My question is as follows:

There are entries on the list that don't specify which Ubuntu is supported. Does this mean that all of them are?

Also, If a particular card is supported for, lets 8.04, does that mean that 8.10, 9.04 and 9.10 are all supported?

I've got a dell inspiron 531s, which is a slimline case with a low wattage power supply that severely limits my choices.

The one choice I do have, the 9500 gt, isn't on the list And I'm really wondering what you all think?

Do I really have to buy a new more powerful power supply to handle one of the cards on the list, that is supported for 9.10 Karmic. My current power supply is approximately 250 watts and the card that my machine is supposed to be able to handle {according to Dell} is the low profile XFX GeForce 9500 GT.

Any pearls of wisdom will be extremely welcome, as I'm very new to the hardware end of things.

Thanks a lot everyone. Kir_b

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Supported Nvidia video cards

i'm pretty sure that all 8, 9, 200 series cards are all supported under any linux distro

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Most nvidia cards work fine under ubuntu. My card i run is a Nvidia geforce gt 240, which there isnt any drivers with the support for it, (Nvidia site says) but mine runs fine. I know this isnt great help.

Beans

The 9500GT will work, no problems.

I cant say for sure that all the nVidia cards will work with the ubuntu way of getting drivers, but I can say that almost every nVidia video card has drivers for linux (see below for some that dont). You can even get some rather odd driver combos, there is x86_64 drivers for the vanta, which was the 1st video card nVidia released. I cant imagine anyone running 64bit with a card that old, but the drivers are there.

Quote Originally Posted by portets View Post
    i'm pretty sure that all 8, 9, 200 series cards are all supported under any linux distro
    Not all. The GT230/GT240/GTS240 still have no linux drivers....as yet anyway, they will get there sooner or later.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: Supported Nvidia video cards

Thanks guys. I'm a sponge when it comes to anything related to my computer and linux. I appreciate every little morsel that I can get, no matter how insignificant it may seem to some. I can't say that for the past. until I encountered Ubuntu, I felt that all this box could do, was run firefox and surf the internet [which thanks to M$ and their ".Net Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1", that was becoming more of an annoyance than anything else {it kept killing the browser, requiring a reboot to remedy}]. Thanks to Ubuntu and all you fine folks, I do believe that this {three year old} Dell slimline AMD64 has one heck of a lot more life left in it now running Linux than I ever thought possible six months ago {pre linux}.

Thanks again all, Peace. Kirby