Thread: What to do to recover data from my disks?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Unhappy What to do to recover data from my disks?

Hi, I'm browsing on my phone which is not letting me scroll to the end of this text box so I will say thank you in advance for any replies now.

After my computer was switched off abruptly after a power outage I have many errors upon booting. My hard drive setup consists of a RAID0 array of two 500GB sata disks. The partition table (from my head!) goes like this:

50GB NTFS Windows XP /c/
    50GB ext4 Ubuntu 9.10 /
    4GB swap
    The rest is a large NTFS partition all the way up to the end of the array at 987GB. Mounted at /media/share/

I am thinking I will have to start again (I won't lose much, I have recent backups), but what is the best way of restoring the system as much as I can? Currently my computer has been booted into Ubuntu for over an hour, and after pressing ctrl+alt+shift+F2 I can see that it is finding errors still, now at sector 6008. Should I let this run its course or REISUB it and boot onto a live CD. I think the main problem is with an NTFS partition, so perhaps I should boot into XP and run chkdsk?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Talking Re: What to do to recover data from my disks?

I have solved the problem now.

At first, I ran into a bit of a brick wall as XP would not boot to run chkdsk on the partition. Also, the XP install CD does not contain RAID drivers for my motherboard, and I have no floppy drive to load the drivers on Windows setup so I could not use Recovery Console!

I ended up making a streamlined XP disc using nLite, with the SATA RAID drivers included. It took quite a while to scan the partition and fix errors but chkdsk appears to have fixed all errors.