Thread: M17X freeze un Battery Power - HELP!!

Beans

Angry M17X freeze un Battery Power - HELP!!

Hey everyone! I was hoping someone could shed some light into this. I have an AlienWare m17X 64bit running Ubuntu Karmic (which was upgraded from Jaunty)

The problem is simple and as follows: I CANNOT GET MY LAPTOP TO WORK ON BATTERY POWER! It Freezes dead as soon as I so much as unplug the cord or power goes out (which is frequent where I live) I can still see the display on and (sometimes) my cursor responding, but buttons altogether are disabled, and stay that way even if I plug it back to AC Power. I have yet to find a solution to work this out. I know (from the forums) that several ASUS owners have undergone the same problem. PLEASE! SOMEONE HELP!

Note: I'm using the NVidia driver "185" handling my single NVidia 260m card, and have both Integrated & Hybrid Cards shut from BIOS.

Thank you in advance!

Beans

Re: M17X freeze un Battery Power - HELP!!

Just to let you know, I have exactly the same problem.

Basically - either start on AC, or start on battery. There is no other option

I think it has to do with the laptop trying to switch to Hybrid mode when the AC gets unplugged - which causes all sorts of issues with the nvidia driver. But that's just as guess.

Bloody annoying though, I must admit.

I'm running the 195 Beta driver, but haven't tried yanking the cable out yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Yea damn annoying....

I will be very happy if nvidia bring out a driver which will allow us to:

* Switch to integrated graphics
    * Utilise SLI properly
    * Not hang when AC is pulled

Not holding my breath though
    Alienware M17X | QX9300 @ 3 GHz | GTX260M x2 SLI | 1920x1200 | 8GB 1333 Mhz | BD-ROM | Ubuntu 9.10 | 1TB 7K2 Raid 0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Same problem here. I have an ATI graphics card, though.
    " Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge." -- Charles Darwin