Thread: dvd95 and k9copy hanging

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

dvd95 and k9copy hanging

Trying to make a dvd9 fit on a dvd5. Mainly would like to strip all the menus so it plays nicely. The DVD in question is copy protected but plays just fine on my system with Movie Player or VLC.

But so far when dvd95 or k9copy tries to analyze the structure of the dvd, they just turn grey and hang. Then my computer locks shortly after. If I have system monitor open I can see what happens -- it's not a hard lock. Basically the memory just starts filling up, and then when it starts filling the swap space that slows everything down and makes it unresponsive. If I'm really patient I can get to a console and kill the process, which returns my system to normal.

Does anyone know about this issue or how to fix it? Happens on Karmic 64-bit and 32-bit.

Handbrake works just fine, but I don't actually want to transcode the video, just strip the menus.

Beans

Re: dvd95 and k9copy hanging

Dear guy,

I am having the same problem. Did you find a solution?

heliopaixao

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Did you run the install.sh script provided with libdvdread4.

Code:
    sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh
    I needed this to get it to work.
    Box 1 | Xubuntu 12.10 64 bit | Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S3H rev2 / AMD 5900+ | 250Gb Hitachi SATA / 4Gb RAM
    Ubuntu User #14507[/U] | GPG Key 0xBE7E87FD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yes, unfortunately I have run that already and I still have the same problem.

Beans

Having this same issue - currently taking up 8GB of RAM and a total of 9.1GB of Swap space. Did you find any fixes?

Found this thread which answered my question. Basically hanging due to the fact that it's newer copyright detection than can be decoded. This only happens with certain DVDs.
    Last edited by thatcooldude; January 8th, 2011 at 01:05 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yep, I had found out that was my problem as well.

Turns out that in some cases it's possible to make an .iso copy using ddrescue, zeroing out the intentionally corrupted bits. Then the .iso copy will work in handbrake, etc.

You can do something like

ddrescue -d -n -b 2048 /dev/sr0 dvd.iso dvd.log

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cometdog View Post
    Yep, I had found out that was my problem as well.

Turns out that in some cases it's possible to make an .iso copy using ddrescue, zeroing out the intentionally corrupted bits. Then the .iso copy will work in handbrake, etc.

You can do something like

ddrescue -d -n -b 2048 /dev/sr0 dvd.iso dvd.log
    There are a number of patches I've submitted to the libdvdread and libdvdnav maintainers that are still pending. One of them solves this memory consumption issue. HandBrake uses these patches, which is why it succeeds when reading these discs. The patches can be found here:
    http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/...st/001295.html

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JohnAStebbins View Post
    There are a number of patches I've submitted to the libdvdread and libdvdnav maintainers that are still pending. One of them solves this memory consumption issue. HandBrake uses these patches, which is why it succeeds when reading these discs. The patches can be found here:
    http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/...st/001295.html
    Thanks for your contribution John!