Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux comparisons

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Linux comparisons

Quote Originally Posted by koenn View Post
    congrats, you have evolved from preaching linux to preaching anti-zealotry. Only a few more steps to go.
    So what are the other steps and where are they going ?
    It's okay, I'm a limo driver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by MooPi View Post
    So what are the other steps
    Setting up a shrine to Bill Gates in his closet.

and where are they going ?
    backwards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by MooPi View Post
    So what are the other steps and where are they going ?
    the obvious next step would be: realizing that it is the actual preaching that puts people off.

on other step might be: learning that insulting people is not effective in changing those people's behavior.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Baloney is a perfectly cromulent word.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

to the OP

Ubuntu has its flaws, but starting crusade against linux and free software and calling people <snip> just because you do not like Ubuntu is litle... well stupid. You have right to use any distro you like (even including Windows) but leave people alone. If they want to pursue their dream, leave them be. Calling them <snip> just inspire more zealous behavior and make more polarization.

But maybe that is what you want because I already see your name among cursed ones. You are trying to preach neutrality and failing to see that you are not neutral.

PS: I also like signature but it say Slackware instead of Debian. Everyone can configure Debian.
    Last edited by cariboo; February 7th, 2010 at 08:47 PM. Reason: removed derogatory reference to Linux users.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Hwęt View Post
    Linux is a kernel, GNU is the operating system.
    Nope, Linux is the kernel, GNU is the user-land. You can't have an OS without a kernel, and therefore GNU is not an OS. The HURD doesn't count.
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by koenn View Post
    the obvious next step would be: realizing that it is the actual preaching that puts people off.

on other step might be: learning that insulting people is not effective in changing those people's behavior.
    Sounds like you've incriminated yourself for past behavior. I don't insult people because they use Macintosh or Microsoft software. I just hold my nose and avert my eyes
    Yeah insulting doesn't get you very far. I try to live by example, hoping to influence others by virtuous behavior and good deeds. If I'm misbehaving I can only hope no one noticed.
    It's okay, I'm a limo driver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by #11u-max View Post
    I know this will be put in "Recurring Discussions" because nobody wants the truth, but Linux and the Community of <snip> that follow it are not unlike wiley coyote. they can make a full blast run off of a cliff by installing a linux operating system, but until they look down and see the missing foundation around them they never fall.
    all the best
    #11u-max
    One could argue that a key missing ingredient is "quantitative measures" on which one could argue the superiority of an OS over other. For example, typical IBM AIX/Power and Microsoft Server product always talk about TCO and downtime measures.

I think we should make an effort to quantify our "preaching" and compare it to other people own measurements of superiority.

For example, I always find it very annoying people that do not go past the "well, at least Ubuntu is free..", yes, but if the tool you need to perform your day-to-day tasks is not available in this platform, then, sorry to tell you my friend, but Ubuntu's cost for you is infinite.
    Last edited by cariboo; February 7th, 2010 at 08:44 PM. Reason: removed derogatory reference to Linux users.
    Philosophy doesn't get the work done...the success of Linux Community resides on its ability to listen to the people's demands and transform them into software faster/better than the alternatives

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Wow. An anti-zealot zealot.

This calls for an anti-protest. I think I'll make a sign that says, "God hates protest signs!"

-Robin

Beans

To summarise this thread in one sentence: don't preach anti-zealotry, mention it.
    But I agree with OP.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast