Thread: Live usb in grub help

Hybrid View

Beans

Angry Live usb in grub help

I hope someone can help me all i want to do is create a bootable live usb drive i bought a new sandisk cruzer 4GB and installed of off a 9.10 live cd but i have no option in my bios
    to boot from usb is it possible to add a option in the grub menu alongside my 9.04 and XP
    options thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Live usb in grub help

There's nothing ubuntu or grub can do, but maybe you can flash the hardware with a more up to date BIOS. I'd search using your CPU model, current BIOS, and something like "upgrade", and see if anything useful comes up.

Hope something does. It's a drag not being able to use USB booting these days.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Linux User #496905
    "...Deep Hack Mode--that mysterious and frightening state of consciousness where Mortal Users fear to tread."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by unmole View Post
    Thats all well and good for machines that have a floppy drive but some machines, like my laptop for example, don't have a floppy drive and the BIOS doesn't support USB booting.

To the OP I have been playing with this for a week now on my Acer, unfortunately in my case it won't work regardless of what I do.
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Beans

sorry i took so long replying but i have been testing the usb drive with a bootable cd which i burnt using the live cd and my windows directory, i originally burnt the cd as in the instructions obtained here, http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-boo...or-ubuntu-904/
    but brasero messed up the burn so i had to recreate the iso file again and then copy it into
    my windows partition and burn it from there. i may try this method by TJCIB next but with 9.04 http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1056601 thanks to you all for your help johnny swordfish.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyswordfish View Post
    I hope someone can help me all i want to do is create a bootable live usb drive i bought a new sandisk cruzer 4GB and installed of off a 9.10 live cd but i have no option in my bios
    to boot from usb is it possible to add a option in the grub menu alongside my 9.04 and XP
    options thanks.
    Are you certain you BIOS isn't reading it as a hard drive?
    God does not play dice with the universe - Albert Einstein
    Sure I do, I just use loaded dice. - warfacegod

An open forum. Its a free for all. Check us out. https://openlinuxforums.org/