Thread: Tax Preparation for Ubuntu 9.10

Beans

Lightbulb Tax Preparation for Ubuntu 9.10

Hi,

I'm very new to Ubuntu and loving every minute of it!!!!! Hell, I should have made the switch months ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm currently using 9.10 and is wondering are there any tax preparation software that will work with Ubuntu 9.10? I don't feel safe using the online stuff due to my SS# maybe saved on a 3rd party server.

Thanks,

LaJuan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Tax Preparation for Ubuntu 9.10

Quote Originally Posted by LaJuan View Post
    Hi,

I'm very new to Ubuntu and loving every minute of it!!!!! Hell, I should have made the switch months ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm currently using 9.10 and is wondering are there any tax preparation software that will work with Ubuntu 9.10? I don't feel safe using the online stuff due to my SS# maybe saved on a 3rd party server.

Thanks,

LaJuan
    Ituit's TurboTax stand alone software vs WebSite......In the end, the data created with either will be stored on the server. I stopped buying tax software 3 years ago and went with the online prep as it saves me $30 by NOT buying the software.

I would only recommend Intuit as it has been around much longer and it was Parson's Technology (The founder of GoDaddy, Bob Parsons, sold it to pursue GoDaddy ) before being Intuit.....

The only time you should worry about your information being on a third party system is when you go to Joes Tax Software site and prep online there....Generally, things are pretty tight on reputable sites or there is a big PR price to pay.
    Before Executing commands, understand WHAT you are doing and WHY YOU WOULD WANT TO DO THAT. Some Commands can be VERY dangerous if you are uninformed!

Beans

I suspect that you have come up against one of the Linux shortcomings - the availability of financial software that is compatible to what you can find for a Windows PC. I dual boot Ubuntu and Win 7 and this is one of the major reasons why. I keep my financial records in Quicken, and do my taxes in Turbo Tax, partly by importing my data from Quicken into Turbo Tax. As far as I know, the only way that you might be able to do this in a Linux setup would be through a program such as WINE that enables the running of some Windows programs inside of a Linux installation. Personally, I would not risk my financial data to this - too much uncertainty. If you want to mainly use Linux, you might consider a dual boot setup with Windows, and use the Windows partition only when necessary. Just my opinion, of course.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I am like blegs38552.

I have been running turbotax and Quicken since the DOS days. I still dual boot XP just for these programs, but am looking closely at KMyMoney and GnuCash which are not yet fully equivalent to Quicken but getting close enough to be usable for me. I am also thinking of converting my dual boot to a virtual install of XP since my understand is the newer versions of quicken & turbotax do not work in wine. Even the old versions did not connect well to the internet where KmyMoney and Gnucash are starting to.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Smile Re: Tax Preparation for Ubuntu 9.10

Hi,

I just want to thank all for the info!!!!!!!! I went with the online version and it works just as great!!!!