Thread: Hmmm

Beans

Hmmm

I just downloaded PCBSD; never played with any BSD before. I'm about to go all out and install it as my only OS to force myself to learn it. Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Hmmm

You can try Debian/KFreeBSD too...

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

No suggestions, but post back with a report on pro's and con's. I might be interested in trying it myself.

Beans

how does flash work? i always wanted to try bsd but since linux flash is bad enough i'm kind of skeptical of emulating linux flash
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I tried it in a VM, the installer didn't complete. I'll need to try it myself.
    .i coi rodo

Beans

After attempting to boot the installation DVD 4 times, and getting a kernel panic each time, I'm going to download another BSD variant and report back

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I enjoyed PC-BSD in the past, was quite a fun little distro out there.

It kind of lacks some fundamental things, though. Ports has always sort of been iffy with it, so it's not exactly the easiest to set up a development environment on it. Kind of stinks, because I was hoping to try and help port some KDE/Qt applications over and package them up nicely.

PBIDIR is pretty nice though, as is the .pbi file format.

Beans

I put pcbsd on one of my computers a couple of weeks ago. Any issues I have had so far have been resolved by reading documentation or forum posts. I have been unable to register for the pcbsd forum and don't know why. It does not really matter as that forum gets very little traffic. I have found the freebsd forum and documentation to be more helpful than the pcbsd resources for the most part. The biggest obstacle I encountered in setup was sound. I found the solution by reading the freebsd supported hardware list. Setting up printing (shared hp printer on a windows machine)was very similar to ubuntu. Flash on bsd seems to be a bit glitchy. On youtube it is a bit of a craps shoot as to whether a video with play or not. Websurfing via firefox seems to lag a bit, but to be honest I have not tried to do any tweeking to improve performance. I loaded pcbsd on a spare machine as something to dabble with so I have not been motivated to get the most out of it. I hope you will provide updates of your experience. Good luck (and I mean it in the most positive way).
    Last edited by paydaydaddy; February 6th, 2010 at 07:36 PM. Reason: fumble fingers
    Nothing is really clear when you are obtuse.

Beans

Smile Re: Hmmm

Try it out in Virtualbox first if you can.