Thread: ThinkPad T410 Screen Brightness

Hybrid View

Beans

ThinkPad T410 Screen Brightness

I'm having a little trouble with the screen brightness of my new thinkpad T410. Using the hotkeys (fn + Home or fn + End) the applet shows that the screen brightness is changing, however the brightness stays at maximum. I'm running Ubuntu 9.10, with 2.6.32-19. Has anyone had a similar problem? Also the screen brightness applet in gnome does not have any affect.

Thanks in advance.
    ThinkPad T410: Core i7@2.66Ghz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m 256Mb, 4GB Ram, 500GB HDD, BT, a/b/g/n wifi
    ThinkPad R61: Core 2 Duo T8100@2.1Ghz, Intel X3100, 3GB Ram, 160GB HDD, 6cell Battery, 14inch WXGA.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: ThinkPad T410 Screen Brightness

I am having this problem too, since activating the nvidia proprietary drivers. Brightness worked fine before I did so.

Beans

There is some more discussion on the T410 in this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1383110&page=1

Doesn't look like too many people have the nvidia graphics card, though but hopefully a solution will present itself.
    ThinkPad T410: Core i7@2.66Ghz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m 256Mb, 4GB Ram, 500GB HDD, BT, a/b/g/n wifi
    ThinkPad R61: Core 2 Duo T8100@2.1Ghz, Intel X3100, 3GB Ram, 160GB HDD, 6cell Battery, 14inch WXGA.

Beans

Do you mind opening a bug on launchpad to troubleshoot the issue? The model is very new.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug/?no-redirect

There is an unrelated bug report with an Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...el/+bug/518201

Nothing about FN keys/panel applet (+nvidia card) not working so far

Workaround: can you change the brightness either entering the BIOS menu at boot-time, either entering a tty console after log-in to GNOME?

Enter a console
    Code:
    Ctrl+Alt+F2
    Exit the console
    Code:
    Ctrl+Alt+F7

Beans

I have the same problem (brightness function keys display an onscreen applet that ramps a brightness display up and down, but has no effect on the actual screen brightness). System: Ubuntu 10.04 on Lenovo T410 core i5 with nVidia NV34 graphics (GeForce FX 5200); nVidia proprietary drivers.

I can confirm that the workaround (switch to a console with CTRL/ALT/F1, adjust brightness, switch back with CTRL/ALT/F7) works just fine. Many thanks for that.

Beans

Same problem here, started when I installed the nvidia proprietary driver. Running 10.4 on T410. The switch to console, change brightness, switch back trick works, but is pretty annoying.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by steve0921 View Post
    I am having this problem too, since activating the nvidia proprietary drivers. Brightness worked fine before I did so.
    Hi,
    I am trying to troubleshoot brightness control on an iMac with the same graphic card as the t410. Could you tell me what driver you used before installing the nvidia drivers (they don't exist for ppc machines).
    Greg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Having a similar problem with a Thinkpad T530 in 12.10. There is no xorg.conf anymore so I can't apply that solution. Manually adding it didn't work either. Any other ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Try it this way (in German, but I hope you get the point).