Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Boot problem - "Gave up waiting for root device.", (initramfs)

Beans

Re: Boot problem - "Gave up waiting for root device.", (initramfs)

Got some time, tried as you suggested with no results. My question now is, what is the process that detects the hard drives at boot time, and is there anything anyone can think of that would force grub to look for all hard drives by UUID? (If this is indeed a grub responsibility.)

PS: I agree: , and yes it does boot through plop every time. I am wondering if just eliminating that boot manager would solve my problems. By replacing it with Grub of course.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have not seen Grub have problems of the sort you are describing. I don't have any experience with plop so I don't know how useful it is; I do know Grub2 does a good job booting a variety of OS's and I've never needed another bootloader.

There is a setting you can use in /etc/default/grub to disable UUIDs.
    GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true
    It's initial intent was to allow booting kernel's whose initramfs cannot handle UUIDs so I'm not sure it's your issue, but it is easy enough to try. Just run 'update-grub' after adding the entry and saving the file. To give it a complete test, I'd probably manually edit grub.cfg and also remove all the 'search' lines, which still retain the uuid's even after adding the above.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

I spent some more time and did a bunch of reading and research and I still have no idea what is going on, but, I did get it to boot without the "Gave up waiting for root device." message.

It still only detects my linux partition and my external, unless I first do a boot into Windows and then reboot and choose linux.

It does seem though that this is not a grub problem since I have promoted my linux disk to highest boot priority, eliminated my plop boot manager and created a Windows boot entry in grub. When I select the Windows 7 entry in grub, the disk is found and booted from just fine, it is only when I am booting into linux (before ever booting into windows) that the windows partitions are not detected.

I also found that there where some "udevd timeout killing /sbin/modprobe" messages as well as an "ata_id HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed" message. (Again only before I ever do a boot into windows.)

So I don't know if anyone else is getting something similar, but in my case, this appears to have something to do with udev and not Grub.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by chezzwizz View Post
    When I select the Windows 7 entry in grub, the disk is found and booted from just fine, it is only when I am booting into linux (before ever booting into windows) that the windows partitions are not detected.
    Again, you should wait for a Windows user, but here is a thought:

Is it possible that Windows runs chkdsk when it boots (or exits) and fixes errors that have occurred on the partition, whereas when you boot Ubuntu first the Windows partition errors haven't been corrected? I know that when there are disk errors Gparted and Ubuntu sometimes cannot see the Windows partitions.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

I will do some research into that, strangely enough, while doing all this, I did a resize on my ext4 partitions, and Gparted was able to detect the primary windows disk and its partitions, but not the other disk that has all ntfs partitions. This leads me to believe you may be on to something.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345