Thread: Lenovo Multimedia Remote (57Y6336) compatible?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Lenovo Multimedia Remote (57Y6336) compatible?

Saw this really neat little remote that Lenovo released recently. Was curious if anyone's gotten this and seen if it works in Linux? I don't see any reason why it wouldn't just like any other wireless keyboard, but it is a bit pricey for one little device so I'd like to be sure before I buy it. Would be perfect for my mediacenter. Thanks!

http://tinyurl.com/y952d7d
    http://www.slashgear.com/lenovo-57y6...ebuts-2866889/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Lenovo Multimedia Remote (57Y6336) compatible?

I'm also wondering about this. So let us know if you make the purchase...

Beans
    Distro

I found some posts on other shopping websites that people have said it works in Ubuntu. There's currently a 30% off deal going on with a special code, so I went ahead and got it.

http://www.techdealdigger.com/pr/che...ard-deals/2736

Will post results.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Heh, yeah, I saw that deal. That's what made me think about making the purchase. Looks like it could be handy. I'll await your review

Beans
    Distro

I'm happy to say I got the keyboard and it works better than I ever expected! My HTPC case does have USB plugs on the front of the case, but they are behind a panel I keep closed. I was thinking I was going to have to get a USB extension cable to run around from the back of the case. But the tiny little receiver has solved both problems. It's both small enough to fit behind the closed panel and it works perfectly across the room even behind the panel!

Definitely the PERFECT keyboard/mouse remote for any HTPC system!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Wooo hooo! I just bought one of these and I was hoping to put MythBuntu as a media center edition

Awesome!
    Go the extra mile! It's Never Crowded!

Beans

So I just got this for my HTPC running xubuntu and it does not work, I plug it in and it does not recognize.

I have been meaning to migrate to Ubuntu. Is the USB support different for the different flavors of Ubuntu? I am a newbie so I figured I would ask.

Beans
    Distro

I use Xubuntu myself and it worked fine. Just plugged it in and it picked it right up. I had 9.04 at the time I got the keyboard and upgraded to 9.10 and it still works. Have you tried using it on another system to make sure it's not just a bad keyboard? And, not trying to insult your intelligence, but the switch on the bottom is turned on right? I've done that a few times myself. I'll leave for a while and turn it off to save the batteries then come back and forget and think something's wrong.

There's no difference to the core system across the major Ubuntu distros (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu). The difference is just the desktop manager (GNOME, KDE, Xfce respectively).

Beans

I plugged it into a Windows system and it worked fine.

I know the USB ports are working because I have plugged in a keyboard/mouse into the same slots and those work fine.

I will fiddle with it some more tonight and see what the results are.