Thread: App to Copy Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

App to Copy Files

I'm looking for an application to copy files from one location to another, something similar to Windows' TeraCopy. I frequently transfer large files from a Windows box to my netbook (running Ubuntu 9.10) across the network. My problem when using the basic copy/paste in Ubuntu is that the transfer can fail or hangup if there's a hiccup or something on the network.

I'd really like to find something that has the ability resume transfers and check for errors. I'm a complete newbie to Linux, so there's probably already a utility in place to do this. If it's command line based I'd appreciate it if somebody could throw the syntax at me for accessing networked PCs. If it helps the files are stored in a PC named "Minion" on the network in a folder named "Data".

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Beans

Re: App to Copy Files

How about Grsync

http://www.opbyte.it/grsync/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: App to Copy Files

I've seen a lot of people on these forums suggest a program called rsync. I don't know if it's installed on Ubuntu by default - I've got it on my computer and I can't remember installing it; but that doesn't mean much! You can find out if it's installed on your machine by opening a terminal and typing in the command:

Code:
    which rsync
    If it's already installed you'll get output something like this:

Code:
    t0p@phobos:~$ which rsync
    /usr/bin/rsync
    If it isn't already installed, you can get it with the command:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install rsync
    To see its syntax, check out the manpage; command:

Code:
    man rsync
    grsync, as suggested by Ankka7 above, is basically a graphical front-end for rsync. According to Synaptic: "It currently supports only a limited set of the most important rsync features, but can be used effectively for local directory synchronization." You can install it with the command:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install grsync
    Last edited by t0p; February 8th, 2010 at 10:29 PM.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4
    blog photoblog