Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Network Monitor | Traffic Analyzer app.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Favorite Network Monitor | Traffic Analyzer app.

Let me start by saying that I have tried Cacti, Darkstat and a few others but they seem to lack what I am looking for or maybe I was using the software incorrectly. What I would like is something to help me pin-point to what network device is eating up my bandwidth throughput during certain times of the day. Also if this can send info to Nagios that would be a plus also.

From the applications that I have tested a bit, they tell me info per host. I need something I can look at a scope of my entire network. We have about 14 desktops and 6 servers, and about 20 VOIP telephones. So you can see how viewing a graph of one device at a time is not efficient. I need something that I can view the entire network, and maybe color coded to the use of bandwidth the device is using.

Can I achieve this with Cacti or Darkstat, or what would be a better solution, or simply put what is some of your favorite applications for analyzing network traffic?

Thanks in advance for your posts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Favorite Network Monitor | Traffic Analyzer app.

Sill looking!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'd be interested as well

Ampers Taylor - AmpersUK on Twitter - ampers on Skype - Web www.ampers.me.uk

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by alienprdkt View Post
    Let me start by saying that I have tried Cacti, Darkstat and a few others but they seem to lack what I am looking for or maybe I was using the software incorrectly.
    I haven't tried Cacti or Darkstat but it sounds to me like you want some sort of packet logging going on. Does your main router have the ability to log all packets? If it can capture them in .pcap format, you can read the capture file with Wireshark. Then you can apply filters, follow TCP conversations, etc. I'm not sure about Wireshark's statistical analysis ability but you should be able to get some idea of who's doing what and how much.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Bump

Still looking after all these months!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

additional bump

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you are looking to stop one device from eating up all the bandwidth most routers these days (and open router distributions) have the ability to cap a certain protocol or mac address from sucking up more than, say 75% of the bandwidth.
    "I use a Unix based OS, therefore I get laid about as often as I reboot."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you are looking to stop one device from eating up all the bandwidth most routers these days (and open router distributions) have the ability to cap a certain protocol or mac address from sucking up more than, say 75% of the bandwidth.
    im ok with nodes using all the bandwidth when i am on that node. - its when one of the kids obviously left one of the various filesharing programs to upload or download freely when im trying run something. My trendnet 652 - brp does allow System Activity, Debug Information, Attacks, Dropped Packets, and Notice log information.

I just want to see who when and where my bandwidth is going so that i can temporarily restrict bandwidth when my tv is trying to download netflix.

i think windows nerd it right though, the router is the only thing that can see the gross network traffic....
    Last edited by mrhhug; November 16th, 2010 at 05:42 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

only the router knows all the ins and outs of your network, unless you have a PC acting as router, any software installed on your PC could only monitor your PC's traffic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I was asking because here at work on our T1 line with the only thing on it is our VOIP phones and an MS2007 exchange I sometimes get undesirable cutting out on phone calls, was wondering if there was any way to monitor our bandwidth to see if that is a problem. Even though I have strict QoS enabled on our Sonicwall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast