Thread: Slow sudo after accidental change

Beans

Slow sudo after accidental change

Hi all.

My first post. I've been using Ubuntu Server edition (Hardy) happily for some time now.

I use sudo regularly during configuration of new services. It always works/authorises within seconds, however, it recently became very slow, to the point of being nearly unusable.

In /var/log/auth.log I noticed a regular working pattern like this:

Feb 3 14:07:20 kanyo sudo: lee : TTY=pts/1 ; PWD=/usr/share/obm/www ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/etc/init.d/apache2 restart
    Feb 3 14:07:25 kanyo sudo: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by lee(uid=0)
    Feb 3 14:07:30 kanyo sudo: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root

Unfortunately now, they look the same, but the timestamps are much wider apart (minutes). This occured after running synaptic and dpkg-reconfigure obm-conf. I was trying to remove 'OBM' (http://www.obm.org/doku.php?id=docs:install:ubuntuhardy) completely as I'd messed up (just OBM) while trying to fix a minor-looking misconfiguration.

Any idea what I've broken and how to fix it?
    ------------
    ASIDE:
    I noticed that every time I come to use sudo after a delay (the auth timed out) I get a line like this:

Feb 3 14:13:15 kanyo sudo: pam_smbpass(sudo:auth): unrecognized option [missingok]

But this also occured prior to it going wrong.
    ------------

Any help much appreciated.

Regards,

Lee

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Slow sudo after accidental change

Probably not much help, but the one thing that I have found makes sudo really slow is if there is a network problem at which point any time that I enter a sudo command it complains that it can't resolve its own hostname. By network problem I mean one where the network configuration (resolv.conf or /network/interfaces) gets screwed up and the machine can't locate DHCP, DNS, etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

It sounds like you ended up with some extra entries in your pam.d config files. the pam_smbpass is for authenticating to samba servers, which probably has something to do with obm. I've run into similar situations setting up servers to communicate with Active Directory, where when I go to sudo, it would first check samba.. wait.. wait.. wait.. finally timeout, then continue as normal.

Check the files in /etc/pam.d

Beans

Thanks for your input fang0654 / noway2.

I've looked into both points mentioned, but cannot see anything amiss - files in pam.d have not been modified and network config has not changed.

I notice sudo and su both are slow in the same way, and it's not just suing to root - it occurs on sudo -u anyuser. Another thing I noticed was that sudo's password prompt is fast (implies pam_unix is okay), but it hangs at the point of actually switching user - almost as if the shell is not responding to sudo's completion. It's a tricky problem!

In searching for files which got modified at the time the problem arose I found a few empty lock files knocking about - they don't look like they could be related, but clutching at straws, I'll delete these and reboot when I can take it offline.

Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

---------- Edit -------------------
    Don't do anything yet, i did not fix it !
    -------------------------------------
    Hi everyone,
    i tried something that seems to render sudo more usable:
    i checked the places mentioned here, and looked at:
    /etc/pam.d/samba:
    Code:
    #%PAM-1.0

@include common-auth
    @include common-account

session required pam_permit.so
    session required pam_limits.so
    The last two lines seem something added by an update,
    so i commented them, and restarted the samba daemon.
    It's only been a few minutes from this, but i noticed that now i can use gksu without issues

Note: Previously, gksu would hang, and i had been using all the sudo command-line equivalents.

I don't know exactly what i did with that file,
    so if someone more knowledgeable sees this, any help is welcome.

---------- Edit -------------------
    Don't do anything yet, i did not fix it !
    -------------------------------------
    Last edited by luke_lukem; June 27th, 2010 at 10:05 PM. Reason: double-checked my post, it's wrong