Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wlan0 is flukey with static ip address

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: wlan0 is flukey with static ip address

Hans, you could also divide your subnet into 2 subnets by using a netmask of 255.255.255.128.

On the first subnet, you could give IP addresses 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.126 to one NIC card, and 192.168.1.128-192.168.1.254 to the other. That way, they stay in the same class of IP address (class C) and at the same time, they are on two different subnets. You should also be able to still utilize your router so you can have access to the outside world if you need it. Your router may need to be changed as well to fit the networking scheme.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

wlan0 just went down after I tried to bring the machine up with only wlan0 being configured to go up. So I would say that it takes about 30 min to go down on its own. However, when eth0 is also up with it, it appears to stay up with no problems "sleeping" or "shutting off".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have just experienced the same problem again. Instead of making an attempt to reconnect to the access point, I took a look at dmesg. I found out that at the very end of dmesg, it gives me the following:

[584996.380033] wlan0: no probe response from AP XX.XX.XX.XX.XX.XX - disassociating

I then looked up this "error" to try and find out why this might be happening. As it turns out, others are having this issue as well:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1222805

I'm hoping someone can try to explain why this is happening. It does seem like the wireless NIC is going into some sort of power saving mode and not waking up when it needs to. Funny thing is that I can use a flag that will shut the power saving off on the wireless NIC, but it doesn't appear to change when I do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

bump

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12