Thread: Universal themes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lightbulb Universal themes

Aren't you tired of downloading .tar.gz files from gnome-look.org, kde-look.org and similar sites?

Wouldn't it be great if there was a well defined theme format? That's what my idea is about: a universal theme format. You could double-click on a theme and the appropriate program would launch, installing and activating it for you. Themes of different types could be combined into one collection, making distribution of a complete look and feel easy. Meta-data would be standardised, so you could search your system or a website for a theme of a certain colour, or certain license.

You can check out my blog post about it and the draft specification. Please tell me what you think, I crave feedback!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Universal themes

*wonders if it will require gnome dependencies*

Ewwwww.... PDFs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Psumi View Post
    *wonders if it will require gnome dependencies*
    If by "it" you're referring to universal themes, the answer is no. It's just a file format, same as .tar.gz. It should be usable on KDE, GNOME, Xfce, even Windows. Obviously, programs that handle these files can be desktop environment specific.

Ewwwww.... PDFs.
    Sorry, I hope to get this on a wiki once I get some feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Flimm View Post
    Aren't you tired of downloading .tar.gz files from gnome-look.org, kde-look.org and similar sites?

Wouldn't it be great if there was a well defined theme format? That's what my idea is about: a universal theme format. You could double-click on a theme and the appropriate program would launch, installing and activating it for you. Themes of different types could be combined into one collection, making distribution of a complete look and feel easy. Meta-data would be standardised, so you could search your system or a website for a theme of a certain colour, or certain license.

You can check out my blog post about it and the draft specification. Please tell me what you think, I crave feedback!
    That is a very nice idea

I think a standard format across the board can only be a good thing. Not sure how long (or even if) this standard would be agreed upon and then implemented. I certainly hope some steps are taken within the next 12 months though

-Silver Fox
    Last edited by s.fox; February 9th, 2010 at 11:31 PM.

Beans

This is an excellent idea! Having a common standard can only be a good thing. As long as it saves me trouble hunting down any number of programs, then I say go for it!

-Ericson

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I disagree, I think one standard format wouldn't be the best thing. I think the more different ways people look at the theme, the different ways people will wnt to control it. we should expand our thinking.

Beans

Off-topic posts jailed. Please keep this thread on-topic.

Thanks.
    elementary OS Luna
    My Screenshot