Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pangolin 7 review - it's a speed boat!

Beans

Re: Pangolin 7 review - it's a speed boat!

Quote Originally Posted by mookiemeister View Post
    After reading some posts here, I finally broke down and ordered a Pangolin laptop (i7 + 4GB) about a week ago. I just got an email message stating that there will be a delay in shipping the laptop to 15 business days due to Chinese New Year.
    The same thing happened with me. I found this out after talking to Mandy. To speed things up, I went with my second choice of the Lemur and changed my order. After all was said and done, I found the post today about the two PanP6s that were for sale. So, I once again changed my order to one of those. I'm sure Mandy wants to take a whack at me for bugging her so much theses past few days, but she was super helpful!

They're really willing to help out if you just ask.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for all the replies especially the links for other useful web sites. That'll keep me busy for a while waiting for the laptop. I think I'll just stick it out with Pangolin laptop for now. I think 15 business days (3 weeks) will pass quickly since I have other stuff to keep me occupied.

It's cool that I can continue to use my printer and scanner without Windows.

About peripherals, I just remember I also have an iPod Touch that I sync with my iTunes on Windows. Ideally, I like to be able to completely abandon Windows and update/sync my iPod Touch with Linux. Does there exist a way to sync/update music from Linux to iPod? Getting iPod apps won't be a problem because that can be done via wifi. Does anyone have an iPod that they sync using Linux? If so, how do you do it? If I can do this from Linux, then I think I can completely get rid of my Windows PC.

One final thing, right now one of the Windows apps that I use all the time is Quicken for keeping track of my personal financing. What type of personal financing software do you guys use in Linux? I read some FAQ and found there is GNUCash and Grisbi applications. Or do you recommend running Quicken in Windows VM in Linux?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm sure Mandy wants to take a whack at me for bugging her so much theses past few days, but she was super helpful!
    Actually, we had a good laugh around here about that one today. I'll let her know you posted something nice about her on the forums, though.
    Code:
    What type of personal financing software do you guys use in Linux?
    Gnucash, and I do believe it is compatible with quicken.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

Actually, we had a good laugh around here about that one today. I'll let her know you posted something nice about her on the forums, though.
    Haha. Good to know.

About peripherals, I just remember I also have an iPod Touch that I sync with my iTunes on Windows. Ideally, I like to be able to completely abandon Windows and update/sync my iPod Touch with Linux. Does there exist a way to sync/update music from Linux to iPod? Getting iPod apps won't be a problem because that can be done via wifi. Does anyone have an iPod that they sync using Linux? If so, how do you do it? If I can do this from Linux, then I think I can completely get rid of my Windows PC.
    I think there are a few not-so-easy ways to do it with a jailbroken iPod Touch, but you'll be in the same boat I am. I found it easy enough to just keep iTunes on another computer, or run it in a virtual machine. That way, you can just share the music on the Linux side with the Windows computer or virtual machine and just sync that way, but still listen to it when you're just running Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yeah, another computer, or Windows in Virtualbox will be the best way. Syncing iPod's on Linux used to be really easy. But a few years ago Apple made an effort to not let any other application but iTunes sync with the ipod/iPhone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It's cool that iTunes works in Windows Virtual Machine/Virtualbox in Linux. This means I won't have to keep a Windows system around.

Does this mean that if I have a peripheral that doesn't work under Linux, but does work under Windows, I can just install the peripheral device driver/software in Windows VM/Virtualbox and get it to work in a VM/virtualbox environment in Linux?

About compatibility between Quicken and GNUCash... recently just to try out GNUCash, I imported QIF data from my Quicken to GNUCash, and I found that the imported account balances doesn't match up to the account balances in Quicken. Not sure if I should just start fresh accounts from scratch. On the other hand, I have spent a lot of time keeping track of my finance on Quicken and I'm hesitant to throw out last 20 years of data.

I hope Apple change their policy and let iPod sync using 3rd party app again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Does this mean that if I have a peripheral that doesn't work under Linux, but does work under Windows, I can just install the peripheral device driver/software in Windows VM/Virtualbox and get it to work in a VM/virtualbox environment in Linux?
    Yes

About compatibility between Quicken and GNUCash... recently just to try out GNUCash, I imported QIF data from my Quicken to GNUCash, and I found that the imported account balances doesn't match up to the account balances in Quicken. Not sure if I should just start fresh accounts from scratch. On the other hand, I have spent a lot of time keeping track of my finance on Quicken and I'm hesitant to throw out last 20 years of data.
    I wouldn't want to loose that data either. I personally use mint.com, but if you cannot get GNUcash to work right, then Quicken in Virutalbox will work.

I hope Apple change their policy and let iPod sync using 3rd party app again.
    Ha don't hold your breath!
    Last edited by Lee_Machine; February 13th, 2010 at 03:47 PM.

Beans

This laptop looks great. A couple of questions though. Has anyone installed windows 7 natively? I'd like to set up a dual-boot. Also, the external monitor resolution issue that others have mentioned. Is this software or hardware issue?

Beans

About an hour ago, UPS showed up with my Pangolin! Can I just say wow? Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to say... Wow... I just finished updates and am moving my files over as I speak. So, once I give this thing a real test run, I'll be sure to leave my thoughts and comments about it for others that may be considering it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Noah0504, when did you order your Pangolin laptop? I'm so jealous because I have to wait 3 weeks to get mine.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast