Thread: Virtualbox bt4

Beans

Virtualbox bt4

So I was curious,

If I install BT4 under a virtual box in ubuntu, would this limit the things I could do with bt4 in anyways shape or form? I ask because I have a ALFA wireless card.

I guess what i'm asking is what would be limited if I installed bt4 to a virtualbox within ubuntu?
    Last edited by diablo69er; February 3rd, 2010 at 06:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Virtualbox bt4

The BT4 distro is designed to be used in several ways. One of the ways that works well is in a virtual box. With suca an installation it might not be what you want for forensic work. They do offer downloads of a VMware machine. Maybe you should study what the distro is capibale of . I think that then you wil see that you can use it in several different installions.

Beans

mkvnmtr,

I appreciate the reply. I do know what backtrack 4 is capable of. I was just wondering if I ran it within a virtual box if I would stil be able to put my ALFA wireless card in monitor mode and inject packets. I'm pretty sure everything else aside from forensics tools would work. If I really needed them I could always just boot up my usb thumbdrive with bt4 on it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

It should work but I have not gotten to fooling with wireless yet. I run it in a box and have a disk to boot up on. You will find that there is a lot to learn on the distro. I downloaded about 20 pdf files to study last night on just three of the apps I found on the distro. Gosh there must be a hundred apps. You will find that some of the most commonly used you can download from the repositories and use on a normal Ubuntu install. Some look like windows apps that they have running in wine.Looks to me like I can spend a couple of years just learning what they all do.