Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: does this seem kinda funny to you?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: does this seem kinda funny to you?

yes, no problem there. BIOS isn't made for any operating system, it's made for your motherboard. Only some BIOS flasher programs need Windows, but you can always use bootable disk or CD to do the BIOS upgrade. You should do that anyway, as the BIOS flashing is more reliable without windows running, and you certainly don't want to end with a corrupted BIOS chip..

Anyway, if you can't find the BIOS itself without windows installer, you could ask HP to send you a BIOS chip with newer BIOS (tell them that the stupid Windows flasher ruined your BIOS and the computer doesn't boot or something ), or you can order those online. I suppose some computer service might also have a BIOS flasher so they could make you a new chip..

I also noticed the part about upgrading from windows to linux. What's funny about that? It's true and we have all done that.

Beans

i'm not gonna risk it...ah well. I didn't mean to insult linux, of course I see it as an upgrade myself, I would never go back. I just found it funny that the tech who will only support windows considers linux an upgrade .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jason.b.c
    Speeking of b.i.o.s. upgrades, anybody know where i can get the updated one for my computer?

HP Vectra vl
    P3 701 mhz
    ( thinks its an msi mobo )
    Take a look here:
    http://www.motherboards.org/moboidtools.html
    to see how to identify the mobo.
    Some people say I'm a man of few words, but the fact is that most people talk too much without actually saying anything.

Beans

I was just looking on the dell site, and found the drivers and downloads section.. you can choose "linux" as your operating system.. but sadly the flashbios things are only for windows even when I choose linux! .exe's! how rude! anyway, I wish someone would make a howto on making the bios floppy from linux (well now that I think about it I think that I have the latest bios, they didn't update it since I got the comptuer I think)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12