Thread: Twinview-Metamode leaves me with weird resolution

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Twinview-Metamode leaves me with weird resolution

Hi,

I have a monitor and a tv. Normally I have only my monitor enabled and every now and then I want to watch some videos on my tv so I start nvidia-settings and enable twinview, which enables my tv and puts it to the right.
    I don't want to keep the tv enabled all the time because that messes up my wallpaper because it changes my resolution to resolution of monitor (1280:1024) + resolution of tv (1024:768) = 2304:1024. Well I guess thats metamode for you. (if you have a solution for that please tell and ignore the rest).

Because I got weary of having to click through the nividia-settings all the time for that I recently created two metamodes for my monitor and my tv-out, so that i could switch with ctrl-alt-+.

I wanted to set up my xorg so that I could switch between mode one, where only my monitor is enabled and mode two, tv enabled, positioned right of monitor.

To achieve that, twinview is always enabled and I can switch between metamode one, normal resolution on my monitor and resolution of tv set to null, and second metamode, normal resolution on monitor, tv resolution not null.

Here's the xorg:
    For the metamode-section: I ran nvidia-settings and enabled twinview and then clicked show preview of new xorg and copied the line about that metamode and then did the same with resolution of tv set to off and copied that line to and combined them in the xorg below, which is my xorg currently running.
    Code:
    # nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
    # nvidia-settings:  version 1.0  (buildd@leucaena)  Wed Dec 23 23:29:52 UTC 2009

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Layout0"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
        Option         "Xinerama" "0"
    EndSection

Section "Files"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        # generated from default
        Identifier     "Mouse0"
        Driver         "mouse"
        Option         "Protocol" "auto"
        Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
        Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        # generated from default
        Identifier     "Keyboard0"
        Driver         "kbd"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        # HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
        Identifier     "Monitor0"
        VendorName     "Unknown"
        ModelName      "WOR COMPAL EM599"
        HorizSync       24.0 - 80.0
        VertRefresh     49.0 - 75.0
        Option         "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier     "Device0"
        Driver         "nvidia"
        VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
        BoardName      "GeForce 8500 GT"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier     "Screen0"
        Device         "Device0"
        Monitor        "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth    24
        Option         "TwinView" "1"
        Option         "metamodes" "CRT: 1280x1024 +0+0, TV: nvidia-auto-select +1280+0; CRT: 1280x1024 +0+0, TV: NULL"
        SubSection     "Display"
            Depth       24
        EndSubSection
    EndSection
    The first metamode works fine, as expected. But the second one sets resolution of tv to null thus disabling it but changes the monitors resolution to 2304:1024 (both res. combined, nvidia-setting showing 1280:1024 with a much bigger monitor-symbol), the same it would have combined with the tv if it were enabled but now only with the monitor. I can now move my mouse to the right and the whole desktop moves.

When I ran those metamodes one by one by clicking through nvidia-settings as described above it works perfectly.

Any idea what I have to change?

I know this text is a little confusing but I had the hardest time putting that to paper and describing it.

cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hachel; February 2nd, 2010 at 07:05 PM.