Thread: Ubuntu fan speed control: How crappy ?

Beans

Ubuntu fan speed control: How crappy ?

I still have Ubuntu on my Fjuitsu Simens Amilo. Fan control is really bad, and doesn't step up when needed.

I wonder what controls the fan regulator? Is it temperature sensors inside the machine or CPU load?

I see it's a fairly known problem with Ubuntu on some computers. I installed the Eee applet from synaptic package manager, but it has no connection to the fan on my machines. It's suppose to be able to regulate the settings of the fan from low, medium to full, but what ever setting I choose there is no response.

Is there a similar application to Eee that are meant to work in Ubuntu? Fan speed control is my main problem with Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Ubuntu fan speed control: How crappy ?

As I understand it your operating system does not control your fans. Your machine bios is what controls them. The best I have found is some programs to view the temp. I have had no problems on desktop systems but on the some of the laptops I have installed on it was indeed a problem. Folks say relax and let your bios do it but that does not seem to always work. I have also had the problem running mac distros. I would sure like to see a solution to this but I guess it is a cross platform problem. They do not want to run the fans more than the minimum for battery life.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mkvnmtr View Post
    As I understand it your operating system does not control your fans. Your machine bios is what controls them. The best I have found is some programs to view the temp. I have had no problems on desktop systems but on the some of the laptops I have installed on it was indeed a problem. Folks say relax and let your bios do it but that does not seem to always work. I have also had the problem running mac distros. I would sure like to see a solution to this but I guess it is a cross platform problem. They do not want to run the fans more than the minimum for battery life.
    doesnt seem to be a problem on mac distros anymore, the latest version of voodoopower solves that.
    {Laptop}[Intel Core 2 Duo P7570, 8 GB RAM, 500GB HD, Broadcom 4353 Wifi, Nvidia Geforce 250M](custom built) Running: Mac OS X, and Ubuntu 9.10
    http://studenthotspot.net -Site for Students

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 2blue View Post
    I still have Ubuntu on my Fjuitsu Simens Amilo. Fan control is really bad, and doesn't step up when needed.

I wonder what controls the fan regulator? Is it temperature sensors inside the machine or CPU load?

I see it's a fairly known problem with Ubuntu on some computers. I installed the Eee applet from synaptic package manager, but it has no connection to the fan on my machines. It's suppose to be able to regulate the settings of the fan from low, medium to full, but what ever setting I choose there is no response.

Is there a similar application to Eee that are meant to work in Ubuntu? Fan speed control is my main problem with Ubuntu.
    take a look here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=846480
    {Laptop}[Intel Core 2 Duo P7570, 8 GB RAM, 500GB HD, Broadcom 4353 Wifi, Nvidia Geforce 250M](custom built) Running: Mac OS X, and Ubuntu 9.10
    http://studenthotspot.net -Site for Students

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

My CPU fan blasts at 100% speed in Ubuntu.

In Windows i use Speedfan.
    So far, i haven't found anything to control it in Ubuntu.

pwmconfig reports nothing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thinkpads have tpfan which works well. Perhaps modify it to work with your machine.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.