Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux on alienware-m11x?

Beans

Re: Linux on alienware-m11x?

not sure if anyone has installed 11.04 64bit but it gave me problems on m11x. i tried a regular and the alternative version and we ubuntu load i get noting on my screen and then the computer restarts. so i installed 10.04 64bit since i had no display output. Now I'm not getting a sound. I can't find drivers for audio.

Alienware m11x-R2: i7, 8G ram, nvidia gt335m

Beans

I installed natty 64-bit on my R1 and everything is work OK with the exception of bluetooth. I have to restart and do some other mojo to get it working. The problem is not limited to the M11x.

Beans

Hi all,

I just installed Ubuntu on my M11x-R1, I was wondering if someone can updated me with everything I need to get started? I'm like a new born baby to ubuntu. Thanks!

My specs:

U7300 @ 1.30Ghz
    4gb RAM
    GeForce GT 335M

Beans

This is still the most current. I doubt you will get more help than that, but maybe. I would suggest that you only use that instructions that you need and don't perform all of them just to do it as they are now a bit dated and could break something now or in the future. Simple adage 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. With the current version, my bluetooth is still having problems, but I think it is an error that is affecting many, not just M11x users.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hello All, I currently own the M11x r2 with Ubuntu 11.04 installed on it. Everything that i can tell is working (bluetooth, sound, graphics (i have to manually switch), AlienFX, wifi, et cetera. I just wanted to post this to help some of you out. When i installed Ubuntu it told me that i didn't meet the requirements for Unity (this is because of the hybrid graphics but of course all of you know that) so i went first to the nVidia website to check out if they had any new drivers out for it. They did, but it was also recommended that you stick with the ones included. I have Unity working, this is because i went into the driver manager and stopped the proprietary driver for the card (335m). Before, i would either be told by the system that id have to use 10.04 or have a blank screen completely. So my best advice to get 11.04 to work is just use the drivers that ubuntu comes with and ignore the proprietary drivers (for the graphics). The next order of business i had was to find something that would control the graphics switching: i turned to bumblebee and it worked. To get those programs to run using the nvidia card you just go to terminal type in optirun [insert name here]. Here's the instructions for the process of installing this: NVIDIA hybrid:
    'For nvidia hybrid configurations:
    b) try bumblebee for simultaneously using the intel and nvidia cards:
    sudo apt-get install git
    # type password
    git clone http://github.com/MrMEEE/bumblebee.git
    cd bumblebee/
    sudo ./install.sh
    optirun glxgears
    # check the speed and compare to running:
    glxgears
    # If you have google-chrome installed, you can try it with/without optirun and report the FPS values on the mailing list:
    optirun google-chrome http://webglsamples.googlecode.com/hg/aquarium/aquarium.html

I copied this verbatim from https://launchpad.net/~hybrid-graphics-linux.
    Next for AlienFX theres a small third party made program out there called AlienFX Lite.. i installed this on my computer and it controls the lights perfectly GUI isnt as pretty but who cares.
    Heres the link for those instructions which are found elsewhere in this forum: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1403399

I hope this helps someone.. I'm new to using linux distros so if i have an error please pardon my ignorance.

Anyways, I have had no problems with all of this (except for alienfx where i had to type in a different file name because the one in the instructions is wrong: it is now 0.4b instead of 0.1.

Regards,

Megan

-------
    Specs: Alienware M11x R2, Core i7-U640, 4Gb RAM, 500 GB HDD, nVidia Optimus 335m
    '
    Last edited by Megan Ashlee; June 23rd, 2011 at 05:36 PM. Reason: adding system specs

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Ashlee View Post
    Hello All, I currently own the M11x r2 with Ubuntu 11.04 installed on it. Everything that i can tell is working (bluetooth, sound, graphics (i have to manually switch), AlienFX, wifi, et cetera. I just wanted to post this to help some of you out. When i installed Ubuntu it told me that i didn't meet the requirements for Unity (this is because of the hybrid graphics but of course all of you know that) so i went first to the nVidia website to check out if they had any new drivers out for it. They did, but it was also recommended that you stick with the ones included. I have Unity working, this is because i went into the driver manager and stopped the proprietary driver for the card (335m). Before, i would either be told by the system that id have to use 10.04 or have a blank screen completely. So my best advice to get 11.04 to work is just use the drivers that ubuntu comes with and ignore the proprietary drivers (for the graphics). The next order of business i had was to find something that would control the graphics switching: i turned to bumblebee and it worked. To get those programs to run using the nvidia card you just go to terminal type in optirun [insert name here]. Here's the instructions for the process of installing this: NVIDIA hybrid:
    'For nvidia hybrid configurations:
    b) try bumblebee for simultaneously using the intel and nvidia cards:
    sudo apt-get install git
    # type password
    git clone http://github.com/MrMEEE/bumblebee.git
    cd bumblebee/
    sudo ./install.sh
    optirun glxgears
    # check the speed and compare to running:
    glxgears
    # If you have google-chrome installed, you can try it with/without optirun and report the FPS values on the mailing list:
    optirun google-chrome http://webglsamples.googlecode.com/hg/aquarium/aquarium.html

I copied this verbatim from https://launchpad.net/~hybrid-graphics-linux.
    Next for AlienFX theres a small third party made program out there called AlienFX Lite.. i installed this on my computer and it controls the lights perfectly GUI isnt as pretty but who cares.
    Heres the link for those instructions which are found elsewhere in this forum: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1403399

I hope this helps someone.. I'm new to using linux distros so if i have an error please pardon my ignorance.

Anyways, I have had no problems with all of this (except for alienfx where i had to type in a different file name because the one in the instructions is wrong: it is now 0.4b instead of 0.1.

Regards,

Megan

-------
    Specs: Alienware M11x R2, Core i7-U640, 4Gb RAM, 500 GB HDD, nVidia Optimus 335m
    '
    Is hybrid graphics what the R1 has or is hybrid what R2 (optimus) has?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I think bumblee is for optimus which is specifically for R2 (and R3 I think). Both are considered to have "hybrid graphics" though
    Just because I am insane does not mean that I am wrong.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lucasbuck View Post
    I have an m11x r2 and ubuntu desktop 10.10 installed.

here are a few findings i have found that i thought might be helpful -> most has been intense googling and testing, i did not create most of these hacks (urls are included to sources)

touchpad ->
    this will get 2 finger scrolling working, among other things
    source -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopi...50621&p=314062

this is my script - hacked a little :
    ------
    #!/bin/bash
    #
    xinput --set-prop --type=int --format=32 "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Synaptics Two-Finger Pressure" 4
    xinput --set-prop --type=int --format=32 "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Synaptics Two-Finger Width" 8
    xinput --set-prop --type=int --format=8 "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Synaptics Two-Finger Scrolling" 1 1
    xinput --set-prop --type=int --format=8 "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Synaptics Edge Scrolling" 0 0 0
    xinput --set-prop --type=int --format=32 "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Synaptics Jumpy Cursor Threshold" 250
    xinput --set-prop --type=int --format=8 "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Synaptics Tap Action" 0 0 0 0 1 2 3
    xinput --set-prop --type=int --format=8 "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Synaptics Palm Detection" 1
    synclient TapButton3=2 ##two finger tap for middle-click
    synclient TapButton2=3 ##should be 3 finger tap right click but doesn't work

xinput --set-button-map "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    exit
    -----

chmod it, and run. it will work right away. i have found after any laptop suspend or hibinate it needs to be re-run. I am working on scripting this in to gui startup, but attempts have failed so far, and i dont want to put it in a cron.

Power Saving ->
    nvidia gfx card disable (it doesn't work anyway, so lets save power!) ->

apt-get install acpi
    cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/state (this will show your mW draw)
    source -> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpo...4&postcount=45
    (download the files and make)
    insmod m11xr2hack.ko
    lsmod | grep m11x (check that its loaded)
    then check batt status again

i managed to get my battery draw (with wifi and full screen brightness down from 23000mW (2.2hrs batt) or so to 17500mW (3.2hrs batt), without wifi and lowered screen brightness to about 14000mW (5hrs batt)
    i have found this needs to be added after reboot + suspend / hibinate etc -> working on scripts for this.

HDMI Audio ->
    tested and working
    source -> http://wiki.foxmediasystems.com/inde...tel_HDMI_Audio

on m11x r2 i was using
    # speaker-test -Dplughw:0,3
    to test static sound over the hdmi cabled, it also worked with speaker-test -Dplughw:0,7
    i was able to just select the vlc output sound device to be hdmi and it has worked very well.

AlienFX lite ->
    source -> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1403399

Emapthy msn network connect ->
    empathy was having issues connectin to MSN
    locate RequestMultipleSecurityTokens.py (should be in SingleSignOn path)
    vi /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/papyon/service/description/SingleSignOn/RequestMultipleSecurityTokens.py
    edit CONTACTS row to : CONTACTS = ("contacts.msn.com", "MBI")
    save, exit, reload empathy. msn now connects.

I have a few bits of hacking to do and will add any updates when i make advances
    hi,
    sorry because I am a absolute beginner, where should I put these scripts for two-finger scroll, should I just run them once ? or they should be run in each ubuntu start-up ?
    regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

You can put the script anywhere you like and it should be run at startup each time.
    Just because I am insane does not mean that I am wrong.

Beans

Hello friends, what might I do to fix this black screen (yes, I went ahead and activated the Nvidia proprietary driver *sad face*) if when I enter BIOS, there is no option for graphics to choose switchable or discreet. I mean, graphics isn't even there
    Last edited by andsoweflow; July 17th, 2011 at 05:58 PM.

Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast