Thread: Is there a Linux or BSD distro that works good with tablet computers by default?

Beans
    Hidden!

Lightbulb Is there a Linux or BSD distro that works good with tablet computers by default?

With the new focus on tablet computers, not just the iPad but all tablets and laptop/tablet convertibles is there a Linux or BSD distro that works great by default with a tablet? either or both with an active digitizer or passive?

I heard Crunchbang does but I am not sure?
    "Mind what you have learned. Save you it can." ~ Yoda

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Is there a Linux or BSD distro that works good with tablet computers by default?

*laughs*

With all the issues I had with my old Wacom tablet...?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Is there a Linux or BSD distro that works good with tablet computers by default?

Quote Originally Posted by Psumi View Post
    *laughs*

With all the issues I had with my old Wacom tablet...?
    Wacom tablets are essential if your doing digital painting.

I've had mine for 4+ years and no problems to mention, still good as new and it works flawlessly

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by 今幸福 View Post
    Wacom tablets are essential if your doing digital painting.

I've had mine for 4+ years and no problems to mention, still good as new and it works flawlessly
    Back in 2007 or so, I had bought a new wacom tablet, didn't work at all with ubuntu, unless I compiled the drivers myself, made a configuration file from scratch, and a whole bunch of whatnot extra.

In the end, I tried three to five times to make it work, and it always had issues, such as the screen not syncing with the tablet, or the tablet was stuck in non-landscape mode, etc.

Beans
    Hidden!

Back in 2007 or so, I had bought a new wacom tablet, didn't work at all with ubuntu, unless I compiled the drivers myself, made a configuration file from scratch, and a whole bunch of whatnot extra.

In the end, I tried three to five times to make it work, and it always had issues, such as the screen not syncing with the tablet, or the tablet was stuck in non-landscape mode, etc.
    So you have yet to find a distro that works good with a tablet. I am using XP on my tablet still.

Beans
    Hidden!

So you have yet to find a distro that works good with a tablet. I am using XP on my tablet still.
    It worked great in windows XP media center edition, yes. But not ubuntu. I got rid of the tablet though, my hands were too shaky, and it never got any better.

Beans
    Hidden!

It worked great in windows XP media center edition, yes. But not ubuntu. I got rid of the tablet though, my hands were too shaky, and it never got any better.
    sorry to hear about the shaky hands; did you get the tablet to do digital painting?
    Last edited by HappinessNow; February 2nd, 2010 at 01:57 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

sorry to hear about the shaky hands; did you get the tablet to do digital painting?
    I wanted to use it to color my drawings, because I suck at inkscape, and flash didn't work with linux.

If there was a flash for linux, I wouldn't have needed the tablet due to flash's unique way of bending lines.

Beans
    Hidden!

I wanted to use it to color my drawings, because I suck at inkscape, and flash didn't work with linux.

If there was a flash for linux, I wouldn't have needed the tablet due to flash's unique way of bending lines.
    You may be interested in the American artist Chuck Close:

Though a catastrophic spinal artery collapse in 1988 left him severely paralyzed, he has continued to paint and produce work which remains sought after by museums and collectors.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Close

fascinating artist!